Redoing the lab:

I'm looking for people's experiences working with Dell servers, how they like them, how well they run, etc. We're looking at their current products, so anybody who has them and can comment (love it, quirky, wouldn't buy it again EVAR!) please post up, particularly about the PV745N

Rules for useful information:

(1) We're looking into new machines at work, and we picked Dell as our vendor. So, all comments should be related to Dell only. We are not switching vendors, we are not building machines ourselves. Which brings me to:

(2) We are not building machines ourselves! We don't need specs, unless for some reason the specs are relevant to your experiences. I am not looking for someone to price me out machines.

With that out of the way, let's talk Dell!

I admin ~20 Dell servers here at work. Don't really ever have problem with them. Recently, had to have a mobo replaced. We have 4 hour response support so got the part as well as a technician to replace it (I could do it but hey, might as well use the support we paid for and this way, if they bunge it up, they have to replace for free) within 4 hours.

One thing I have learned (have dealt with Dell for servers and desktops for around 6 years) is to social engineer yourself past the first tier (or first and second tier) support until you get to someone who can actually think for themselves and don't need the "question tree" that most of the lower level support does. This way, you can just tell them who you are, what you do for a living, what you have done to troubleshoot, and that you believe it is a bad (whatever) and could this guy please set up an RMA for you.

My guts are all dell parts. I'm lovin it. Dunno what to tell you. Tech support is great. I have alot of fun with them. I once get a "yes" when i asked a woman to marry me. Cute people over at Dell :hug:

I just switched my store to all dell. New workstations, and a new poweredge server. So far everything is running great, not a single major problem in months. The prices were reasonable, and the warranty isnt bad. The first and second tiers of tech support are a bit lacking, but you hopefully wont need tech support much anyways.

Edited by SupaFly

Dweez, I agree: If they're paying for the support, I can do other things (though I tend to want to stay and watch my "babies") and the blood's on their hands if they mess up. Been through an on-site repair once, loved it. Very thorough. I'm used to getting past those first two tiers for home support, know lots of people with Dells (I usually recommend them for workin' machines) and am a bit surprised to find out they still put businesses through that crap, but nto by a whole lot.

Thanks for the advice, guys! My boss is turning in the wish-list today, so we'll see if we get everything we want.