Counterstrike Source mapmaking...

bat

To be honest I'm not sure how long this craving will last but I'd like to take a look at possibly messing around with map making. I have a few maps I'd like to toy around with from old cs days I'd like to bring to source but have no idea if I'd even be able to make anything worth playing or not. Are there any good online tutorials for mapmaking out there for source? Keep in mind I've never made a map before, its just something I'd like to play around with and see if I come up with anything decent in my spare time. Any help would be appreciated.

Bat, as far as mapping is concerned, I'd recommend starting off really simple. Just a room or two, and make sure that you have all of the basics covered.

If you need help getting started, there are tutorials at http://collective.valve-erc.com

The good news is that editing for Half-Life 2 is almost exactly the same as editing for Half-Life 1, as far as fundamentals go. When you get into slightly more advanced concepts, there will be some diversion, but to start, you can basically follow the starter tutorials for Half-Life 1 verbatim.

There is also a "manual" of sorts for using Hammer, at http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/

You can use them both to get you through the very basics of level creation. If you have any specific questions, once you're in, just ask, and I'll see what I can do. I haven't published any big maps, but I have been using the editor since the days of Quake, so unless it's an obscure HL2 feature, I haven't learned yet, I'll probably have an idea, and I'll be more than willing to help.

Gracias. I've been reading and fiddling a little so far but will probably make the leap and try to make a 4 walled room tomorrow (empty just want to make a 'working' map first and learn the basics). Heh I know I'll have to take my time and no idea whether I'll actually get the hang of it but hey its something fun to pass the time with right now.

making a room takes all of 2 seconds :P. I just learned how to make swinging lights like in prodigy... i just cant get a cable to show up connecting it to the ceiling... DOH

NET 0Aopps double post... DELETE

Edited by TheBugs

Gracias.  I've been reading and fiddling a little so far but will probably make the leap and try to make a 4 walled room tomorrow (empty just want to make a 'working' map first and learn the basics).  Heh I know I'll have to take my time and no idea whether I'll actually get the hang of it but hey its something fun to pass the time with right now.

ping me