Need help from you tech heads

TeK

So I tried benchmarking my computer and I believe my 3dmark01 score was way too low for my system.

x800XT

A64 3500+

1 gig of ram.

The score was around 16000

Running the 4.11 drivers(For some reason I can't run the catalysts because everytime I try and install them, when my comp reboots the ccc.exe gives me a memory error and I can't open the control center) This has happened even with a fresh install of windows.

I am getting 50-90 fps in HL2 with all settings high 4xAA and 8xAF(1024 res) and when I asked a couple people that seemed about correct.

Anyone have any ideas why my 3dmarkscore is so low? Or why I can't install the catalyst drivers?

yup thats very low. I run the same setup but x800pro.

Make sure you turn off AA/AF to application preference and turn everything else to low quality. Turn off background apps, make sure chipset drivers are installed.

If you have done all this then reformat, something's borked.

Don't know what's up with the catalyst driver's erroring out on you. What are 4.11 drivers ? Some drivers are optimised for gaming so no matter what setting you use your benchmark score is gonna blow.

Jon, get the DNA drivers. They're on the gotfrag site. 4.12 is latest version. They'll clean up driver corruption in the ATI install. 4.11 and 4.12 from ATI require .NET to be installed. Don't bother if you don't have it. It's not worth it. Just run the DNA's.

Run Sisosoft free edition to optimize your PC. That should help you shut down some services that you don't need.

I benchmark at 19015: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8089989

with a p4-2.8C, 1gb of Corsair XMS LLS Ram, SATA 160gb drive and a shuttle system w/ x800XT 256mb. You should score a little higher than my system.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

Whoa! I would avoid the DNA drivers at all costs. The maker is a friggin hack and a thief. The guy has been stealing Omega's work for years (this has been proven) and he has admitted to doing so. His drivers have killed so many windows installs that it isn't funny. The guy is immature and has flamed the head of ATI's driver department publicly and breaks the law by removing the ATi EUA from the drivers. Please, use them at your own risk and you will not receive any type of support from me if you use them. This my only warning regarding that.

I believe your problem though with the CCC not working is that you do not have .NET framework installed. This is required for CCC to work. Using 4.11 isn't your problem though. You may have vsync enabled or some AA and AF settings.

To add to this, you guys have a really good user base I imagine, you should be hosting respectable modded drivers. Unians or Omega's are the way to go.

Edited by zerodamage .gc

TeK

Interesting stuff.

What do u suggest I do zero? Uninstall the 4.11's I have and just install the omegas? Do I need to have the catalysts installed before hand? Should I windows update to the .NET framework?

These are the omegas I downloaded omega_2597a-.exe, let me know zero, thanks

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I would install the .NET anyway. Microsoft is going that way and ATI and NVidia both will require this soon enough. As with all 3rd party modified drivers like Omega, there can be problems. But the most trusted is Omega and they have been publicly endorsed by ATI and are the ONLY modded drivers endorsed by ATI. I would say do a restore point and then try them out. He doesn't require the CCC and .NET but his control panel is a little more confusing.