Crucial Ballistix

Guest zerodamage

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I got some today to replace my Geil PC3500. The Geil is perfectly fine but not fully compatible with my mobo and causes strange crasehs.

Well I am not too sure about this Ballistix. Ran some mem tests on it, no errors at default settings. But it doesn't seem to want to OC and runs very hot to the touch at default speeds and timings. I am wondering if maybe this new ram is meant to run hot.

Anyone care to give any details that they may know of or share a link or something. My time is short tonight and would like to know if the temps are just normal and what sort of voltages I need to get this thing at 440.

I went by this here: http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145&p=9

The thing is, even at 440 and a voltage of 2.65 at normal timings my system fails to boot and the bios can not be accessed. Yet it does post. It is wierd. Gonna try some more later.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Got it working great now. Running at the previously desired 220 HT for a 2.42 Ghz and on stock cooling (Still have yet to put in my new HS and FAN). Timings are at 2.5-3-3-8 I may be able to push 2.5-2-2-8 but will maybe try it tomorrow. Great memory so far. Just runs warm which is probably normal.

you can only get your PC3500 to 220?

I gotta wierd setup

2xPC3200

2xPC4000

if im running just the 4000 I can get up to 246 stable, but with both I run can run at 240. I run at 231 24/7 just because a 2.6@231 will run at a nice round 3.0Ghz :)

that ram LOVE's airflow. Seriously, just a little extra air on those and you will see a dramatic improvement in the overclockability. Unless your stuck at 220fsb being cpu limited ? I'd really hope not, 220's a pretty poor oc, but no overclock's a sure thing so take what you can get i guess.

but yea, more air on those chip's will do wonders.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I thought I responded to this already. Wierd. Anyway, I can get over 220 but I need to first take the time to intall my new HeatSink and Fan. Do a google search for the XP-120.

I am not going over 220 until I replace this HSF.

My previous memory which is great OC memory just isn't fully compatible with my MSI Mobo which is why I could not do anything with it. BSOD's and game crashes all the time because of RAM errors. No more since I put in that new RAM in.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
lol way to be a jerk. you made a thread wanting to get it to 240, your at 220 (20fsb short of your goal, or 50% of the way TO your goal). I posted some tips i thought might be helpful.

No, not being a jerk, not intentionally anyway. I thought I replied to the post above yours and I remember submitting it which is weird.

But I was referring to getting my old memory to 220 which is the same as 440 HT or fsb. I could not due to the memory not liking my mobo.

I can now hit 220 with ease on my stock cooling and stock voltages. The Real OC'ing will be done when I get my HSF installed.