Cooling Sensor

Acid-Flux

Wow. That I do not know. Best bet would be to go to your local library and check out the Haynes book for your car model. They completely tear down and rebuild the particular model. The book comes in handy for the strangest things. I would suggest anyone who wants to do work on their own cars to invest in one or get it from the library.

Little more info on the car situation. I bought some coolant and toped 'er up and then took it out for a pretty decent drive on the highway maybe like 10-15 min, at 55mph. I let the car rest (went to the mall) and then drove back home light still on. I checked the coolant and it hadnt really gone down much. The temperature of the car was in the middle the whole way, sometimes it dipped lower but not ofter. Then that got me thinking, was the temperature of the car not rising to much because

1) I was driving semi-fast, which promoted air-flow through the engine compartment.

2) It was faily cold out, maybe like 30degrees F (-2 degrees C)

so any help on this situation would be super-duper. I am thinking of just taking it in, becasue I guess I have to drain some of the coolant to get at the sensor; and I dont think the apartment manager would like coolant everywhere.

Hmm, hopefully bean will look it up, but in the mean time, it has to be where there is coolant, so it has to be radiator, thermostat housing,intake manifold, or cylider head, all pretty close in radius there. I'm thinkin on or near t-stat housing on the v6, been a while, ima little rusty :D

Ok, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. But I kept forgetting to get the information.

Clueless is right, if you are getting a low coolant light, there is a sensor in the overflow resevoir. To test that sensor, while the engine is running, smack the resevoir on the bottom and see if the light goes out. A lot of times that sensor will stick and turn on the light. If the light goes out, then that is the source of the problem.

The coolant temperature sensor is located on the left (drivers) side of the engine under the intake. It is probably located near the thermostat housing, if not in it. I don't think that is the source of your problem though. If that sensor fails, the engine would not run properly. That sensor communicates with the computer and if it were giving false readings the engine might not idle.

Let me know if you need more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Acid, love the name!! POSER!! Just kidding, but anyways GA's suck. I have a 2000 and I am looking to sell it. It is the 4 cyl. But I mean it runs awesome I just don't have time for a GA. www.s10forum.com is where it's at!!