Home Networking With 2 Cards

Guest Deputy Dawg

Guest Deputy Dawg
Guest Deputy Dawg
Guest Deputy Dawg
Guests

I want to know if or how you can have internet on one card and file sharing on the other. I live in a barracks room and my computer is connected to a hub along with my roomate's and that is where the internet is comming from. I have 2 computers and want to have those on a seperate network and not allow my roomate to be able to see the files on my computers. How can I make the second network card filesharing and the first card no file sharing?

Or I could connect all my computer to the hub with the internet, If this is easier. But I still want to only allow my two computers to share files

Edited by Deputy Dawg

Literally, all you have to do is install a second network card. As long as you don't enable internet sharing (or whatever they call it) One computer can connect to two seperate networks and those networks can't see each other.

I want to know if or how you can have internet on one card and file sharing on the other. I live in a barracks room and my computer is connected to a hub along with my roomate's and that is where the internet is comming from. I have 2 computers and want to have those on a seperate network and not allow my roomate to be able to see the files on my computers. How can I make the second network card filesharing and the first card no file sharing?

Or I could connect all my computer to the hub with the internet, If this is easier. But I still want to only allow my two computers to share files

Internet sharing between two cards is... Oh man, I seriously just knew the name of that and went to type it out and completley forgot it..

ARGGGGG...

*edit*

That's it, bridge the network cards..

knew I had it in me :)

Dont bridge the network cards together and you should be fine

Edited by Acid-Flux

Guest Deputy Dawg
Guest Deputy Dawg
Guest Deputy Dawg
Guests

I do have two network cards (Build onto motherboard) But if I share folders on my computer with two cards can both networks see the folders? That is the main problem I dont want.

Guest Deputy Dawg
Guest Deputy Dawg
Guest Deputy Dawg
Guests

Can you have a bridge connection so the internet is shared but no file sharing?

between the two cards.

Edited by Deputy Dawg

I really don't know if the bridging affects what protocols and services are bound to adapters. :unsure: It's not something I've tried.

I suppose you could also limit shares to certain user/passwords if you are using XP Professional, but then you have to set security permissions and map directories to a drive letter to access them on other computers. It's a much bigger pain, but I know at least that will work.

The best thing would be to give it a shot and see what happens. ;)

OK, abbreviations:

network card A: Connected to the internet.

network card B: Just connected to your personal machines, does file sharing

ICS: Internet Connection Sharing: Windows XP's connection sharing thingie.

I would imagine if you have ICS running, it's basically doing NAT translation for the computers on the network card B so they can access internet on card A. If that's the case, then you can turn on file sharing on your computers on card B and not on card A without direct concern. However, if an indirect attack establishes control on one machine, they can hop across the network that way...

Bridging should not transfer data that is not of a supported protocol on both ends of the bridge, but I've never actually tested that explicitly with WinXP, so I'd be inclined to do that. However, the bridge gets its own network adapter icon and you can choose which protocols the bridge allows, so logically (if the term can be applied to Microsoft networking) that should be safe. Regardless, from what I recall on ICS, bridging is transparent...ie, WinXP manages all that, so you shouldn't have to worry about bridging if you use ICS, another advantage. Like a cow's opinion, it's a moo point.

I guess the question depends on if you are looking to stop the average joe six-pack from getting files off of your machines and possibly messing them up or if you are looking for some kind of serious anti-hacker layered defense for the second machine. It sounds like the former, in which case you should be fine this way.