Another problem!

Acid-Flux

ARG. This car has to go as soon as I get a full time job it's a pain in the you know what. Anyways, gf takes her car to work yesterday (and now today) and her temperature is overheating. This time the sensor isnt on, so i dont know if it's the water pump or what, how can I check to see if it is?

Would the temperature of the fulid be quite different (in the holding tank) than in the pipes?

(edited)
ARG. This car has to go as soon as I get a full time job it's a pain in the you know what. Anyways, gf takes her car to work yesterday (and now today) and her temperature is overheating. This time the sensor isnt on, so i dont know if it's the water pump or what, how can I check to see if it is?

Would the temperature of the fulid be quite different (in the holding tank) than in the pipes?

this happened to a friends car ... lemme talk to him and see because he knew it wasnt the sensor.

Edited by flux

The temperature of the coolant should be the same throughout the system.

Check the temp of both radiator hoses. If one is cooler than the other, then you are not getting any flow-which could be a bad water pump(either not pumping or the fins have rotted off), or you have a blockage somewhere. Have you flushed out the system or added any stop leak? Are the electronic fans cycling? Give me some more info.

I cant flush the system because i live in a apt complex, and i dont think they would apreciate it to much. I also havnt added anything yet. Didnt have time to run out to the store and get anything, will do that tomorrow. and as for the fans, well again gf comes home while im studying so i dont have time to "break the sypphhhaaaa" :)

I was also thinking that there might have been a feeze in the pipes; but im sure if it froze there would be leakage (which there isnt) all the coolant is still there.

will give you an update on the situation tomorrow.

The temperature of the coolant should be the same throughout the system.

Check the temp of both radiator hoses.  If one is cooler than the other, then you are not getting any flow-which could be a bad water pump(either not pumping or the fins have rotted off), or you have a blockage somewhere.  Have you flushed out the system or added any stop leak?  Are the electronic fans cycling?  Give me some more info.

Or as simple as a thermostat stuck in the closed position. :D

Welp i had to break down and bring the car into the shop and wow.. i think it's time for a new car..

Water pump is gone, and he was showing me where it is on the car, and he baisically has to take the front part of the engine out to get at it..

it's in the most rediculous spot.

quoted me around $500, since it's a 6hr job, and she needs new breaks and an iol change, so all in all looking at $7-800. Yep, think it's about time she sold off the car and bought a new one..

Water pump might be a heck of a job, but brakes and oil change are something you could do at home. Granted you have the tools, space, jack and stands to do it of course. Disc brakes are simple, and should be able to be done in your sleep. Drum brakes are a different story and require a bit more work and headache. As for the oil change... Either go to wal-mart and buy a 12-pack of decent, cheap oil (any regular 10w- or 5w-30 oil is pretty cheap now a days due to synthetics) at around $19.99 and do it yourself, or go to somewhere like jiffy lube or whatever your local oil change place is and have them do it for around the same price. Takes about 15-30 minutes.

Adding $200 to the job just for oil and brake change would be ridiculous! Unless of course you get crazy brakes that tear up the discs for no apparent reason... :angry: I will never buy cheap brake pads again...