X-COM and UFO: Aftermath

JavaBomberman

Anyone played UFO: Aftermath? I just got it from amazon for $25, and I'm pleasantly satisfied. I was a huge fan of X-COM: UFO Defense and X-COM: Apocalypse, and this one had some of the same people working on it (I think). If you liked the X-COMs, this one fits the bill. It's fairly new too, so the graphics are pretty nice. It is somewhat different though, as you don't construct a base and accumulate wealth like the X-COMs. You get bases and select missions as they pop up across the globe, expanding your territory and getting more bases in that fashion. It has a Risk feel to it in that respect. A fun game, no doubt.

On the same note... I've been trying to get X-COM: Apocalypse running on XP for ages. I've gone to all the sites and in theory, it should work. I've put all the patches and fixes in and my roommate and another friend have it working on their XP systems with the same fixes. When I load the game, the menu screen comes up, but I can't interact with it at all. The mouse doesn't move at all, and the keyboard doesn't affect the options either. I have to manually kill it for it to go away. Anyone having the same problem?? lemme know =P

Edited by JavaBomberman

Try DosBox for Apocalypse in XP...DosBox solves all of my ills. I can't remember Apocalypse particularly, but iirc it is actually a DOS application. I know DosBox works with UFO: Alien Defense (XCom 1, can't remember which it was called here in the states).

Does this game play in the same way the others do in mission? Or is it a FPS-style? I am too lazy to go chasing down more info online, though I may dl the demo if I get the impetus.

I will have to give dosbox a try, thanks for the info.

as far as Aftermath, the in-mission is still a top-down tactical display like apoc and x-com 1. That's the most similar part really, and throw in the ability to spin the view around and zoom in and out to a degree and you've got a really nice tactical game. It's just like apoc's real-time tactical missions in that you can pause completely, assign orders and browse inventories, and then choose a speed to continue the action. There's a few problems, like unit pathfinding through very small corridors, but not much else. It also has pretty nice 3D graphics in-mission, and many things are destructable. A buddy of mine (silentstile) tried downloading the demo and had trouble with the text size. There's no configure tool with the demo like the full version has, apparently.

I was turned off at first by not being able to build my bases and manage money, but when I equated the strategic part of the game more to risk, I found it very fun. They did a good job of making a game similar to x-com, but not identical with better graphics.