anything and everything anime

JavaBomberman

Hey guys, it's me again. Anyone else out here as engrossed with anime as I am? I love it. can't get enough. I'm watching all kinds of new shows right now (currently airing in japan) and have seen bundles besides those. I've got about 370 gigs of it in all (not including my j-pop collection, or actual hard copies...) so I figured I'd see if any others out here have as "healthy" an obsession as I do... :zombie:

What have you guys seen? liked, loved, hated? Have questions? Have answers? let's chat. :)

I have 130 gigs and have deleted at least that much already.

Currently watching Naruto, but the plot really seems to be slowing down...already 126 episodes and there seems to be no end in sight...

Series I enjoyed:

Excel Saga

Scryed

Slayers

RahXephon

Hunter x Hunter

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Hellsing

Photon

Scrapped Princess

Trigun

Cowboy Beebop

And a few others I am forgetting...

I still have most of this stuff if anybody wants to get it via soulseek.

(edited)

Series that I have, or have seen, but don't own, or don't have immediate access to, from my anime-freak friends?

Ebichu

Puni Puni Poemmi

Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu

...I really think that may be it.

I've got Eva and Bebop, and my roomies own everything from Naruto to Marmalade Boy, Dragon Half to Handmaid May, Read or Die to Sakura Diaries, His and Her Circumstance, The Get Backers and one of my personal faves, Now and Then, Here and There. All in all, they own a LOT of anime. Maybe 20 or 30 full series, hard copy, just in the apartment, not counting movies.

Edited by Norguard

(edited)

I'm on top of Naruto as well. I'm reluctant to admit that it's slowing down yet, as I love this anime. Someone told me that it's slower than dragonball z, but that I really disagree with. It may be slowing a bit, but it's certainly not that slow. And I would only say it's been slowing in the last set of battles (chasing sasuke around). As far as an ending... If they pull an ending like some of the endings to the long shows I've finished seeing lately (inuyasha, full metal alchemist) I'll have wished they didn't end it at all. (which was the problem with inuyasha's "ending" in the first place... but that's a different story.)

I'm also checking out -

Bleach: a very cool 'hip' anime with a spiritual/after-life kind of fantasy deal going on

Gundam Seed Destiny: sequel series to Gundam Seed (<--- one of the best series of all time IMO), a tad slower getting to the action than the first, but at ep. 12 I was thoroughly hooked, and now waiting ep. 25 with bated breath. More political tendencies than the first as well.

Beck: a drama series about a boy and his musical talent and band drama. a refreshing genre, not something I've seen before. flooded with really bad english too, for a good laugh.

Yakitate Ja-pan: a comedy series about a boy and his baking talent and bakery drama. again, not something I've seen before. Incredibly odd, but intensely hilarious. plus, I'm learning a lot about how to make bread. :blink2:

Xenosaga: as the name implies, an anime series based on the games. I've never played the games, but a friend of mine who played them and started watching this series said he liked the games, but they took too long in getting to the storyline. the cure? the anime series. spaceships, weird aliens, hot robot chicks. (what else is new, right?)

Besides those, there's countless series I've finished within the past year that are as new as the time I began them, some mentionables;

Aishíteruze Baby: A comedy/drama about a high school boy who gets stuck raising his five year old cousin due to some family problems. Shed a tear or two, really hits the issues well. One of my all time favorites, after seeing the 26 episode series all I can ask for is more. (hopefully they'll have a sequel series ^_^ )

Bottle Fairy: beyond weird. four small fairies live in bottles on "sensei-san's" desk. they are curious about the human world. I learned a lot about japanese culture and monthly events. o0o

Elfen Lied: Not for the weak of stomach. Intense gore and some nudity which is downplayed only by the fact that the nudity is mainly on people without most of their limbs. Good story, though didn't seem to have an actual ending. Hoping for a sequel series.

Futakoi: cute. the end.

Genshiken: A simply amazing comedy series about people like me: anime and game freaks. really hit home on a lot of points and plenty of LOL moments.

Uta-Kata: Not really sure what was going on in this show. Even though I saw it all... and it's over. :blink: Little girls and people coming out of mirrors and "Djinns" i.e. random gods. the art was pretty fancy.

other than that I have some seen classics like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Love Hina, FLCL (<--- my all time favorite anime of all time. all time.), and Neon Genesis Evangelion (<--- anyone else lose their mind watching this? I lost mine twice.).

I was meaning to check out Excel Saga and Scryed, noob, what did you like about those?

edit: lol, the swear filter changed one of the series names because of an english word embedded within. a cookie to anyone who can see which one. :lol:

Edited by JavaBomberman

No real mecha to speak of. It's likely the most heart-wrenching story I've ever seen. A future 'King' steals children from all corners of time, to work on his war ship. It's a story about Shinj... ...errr, Shou, the 'Little Engine Who Didn't Really Want To', and the suffering he goes through, offering to help a stranger.

It's only 13 episodes, and the story is amazing.

And I never did lose my mind watching Eva. Ended up explaining a lot of it to other people... ...up to a point. It's hard to explain things that the writer doesn't understand. After a while, it starts turning into one of those conversations we were having Friday night/Saturday morning... ...and then there're the movies.

...and then there're the movies.

did you see the real ep. 25 and 26 in addition to the movies? The actual episodes were a lot less bizarre. I'm not sure what Hideaki Anno was trying to do with the movies... I know they replace the last two episodes... and they were supposed to be one movie, but he got carried away :unsure: ...and they were just pure insanity. :twitch: I try to pour myself into anime when I watch it... and this one was waiting for that and devoured a piece of me that I think I will never get back. :laughcry::(

also, I am "procuring" here and there, now and then as we speak. I will check it out.

At the very core of Eva was Anno's struggle with his nearly life-ending bipolar depression, and his newfound Christianity. All of the characters represented a piece of his personality. Misato his manic swings, Shinji his depressive ruts, and everyone in between.

By the end of the series, he talked himself out of giving up. That was the point of the final two episodes. They were great thesis pieces, and I'm glad that he came to those conclusions, but I (and thousands, and thousands of others) really didn't like them as endings to the series. I especially didn't like the dropping of the entire storyline, "Congratulations" *victory pose* (pans out and fades to black) ending.

So Anno said: "Fine, if you guys want me to finish the story, and you want killing and swearing and naked Eva pilots, and everybody to live unhappily ever after, so be it." And that's what he did. He wrote the (semi-)logical(?) conclusion to the story, in two episodes ("Breathe/Air" and "Death/Rebirth") which replace the two episodes of revelation at the end of the series.

Great, Java. Now I need to redo my Eva AMVs, and start my Now and Then, Here and There AMV... ...fantastic... ...like I need more work.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Block buster currently has "Berserk" in their action section. Great Anime series. One of my all time favorites.

I've got the first 20+ episodes of Gundam Wing series...VHS tho :( looking to get rid of them. I think they are at my sisters ATM. I have DVD's of Vampire Hunter D, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlines, GW Endless Waltz, Esca Flowne the movie...oh and the first 30 or so episodes of Dragon Ball Z (would love to get them all). I'm a fan of the horror fantasy kind of anime, the mecha, and DZ series....

Just finished off Xenosaga, and lemme tell you it was all worth it for that last episode. Truly amazing. It was pretty quick, and it was a lot of fun up till then, but they really kicked it up a notch for the last episode. It's only 12 eps. and there's room for more it seems. I'm thinking maybe these 12 coincide with the first game? dunno. wouldn't mind seeing a couple more sequels after this one though. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't checked out Gundam Seed yet Java, but its on my to-do list. As for my favorite series, thats a tough one.

On one hand, the UC Timelines have the Zeon, and I do in fact love all things Zeon.

On the othe other hand, GW had the Mobile Suit Leo and Mercurius.

As for a favorite Gundam, I'd have to say RX-78GP02A

Gundam GP02A, the big donkey armored Gundam. And right behind him would definitly be the Wing Gundam.

As for mass produced Mobile Suits, the MS-06J Zaku II is always my top favorite, along with the Zeon Kampfer and the Oz's Leo Suit.

haha, to tell the truth the only gundam I've watched completely is gundam seed, but it sounds like you know your way around them. :thumbsup:

a buddy of mine has seen a lot of the other series, and I've seen snippets of them as well. even with that, his favorites series (of all anime by the way, not just gundam) is gundam seed. so definitely check it out if you like gundam. :peace: