Please Say a Prayer

Hey guys. I think the first topic I ever replied to was for Duke's daughter - before I was GC, before being an admin - and the show of support that we give outside the game is one of the main reasons I joined.

My fiance's father is having open heart surgery tomorrow at noon. They are doing a triple bypass on three of his arteries that are 90% blocked. The good thing is they found it before he had a heart attack. He was just having periodic chest pains and went in to have himself checked out.

The doctors have requested that they use him as a research study because he does not fit the profile of someone with these kinds of issues. There is no family history of heart problems, he doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, eats incredibly healthy food (they are Korean and his wife is a health-food nut), plays golf, works part-time to fill the time (retired)...they have no idea why his arteries are so clogged.

There is so much more to this story than I can put here. Just know that I can't go to the hospital with my fiance, as I am no longer welcomed by her parents. I'm divorced and have a little girl, and because of this...well, they are very religious, traditional Korean parents. Long story...

Please say a prayer for her father and their family. Thanks guys.

(edited)

He is in now being prepped with IV's and whatnot. It's supposed to take about an hour to get him all hooked up to the artificial heart machine and ready to start. Looks like the surgery will start at about 3:30 CDT.

Thanks for the prayers guys. Everyone is so scared...

**EDIT - UPDATE - He is still in the ICU (routine) and should be moved to another room soon. The surgery went as well as it could go, and they are going to use him as a study subject and track his progress, monitor his care, etc. , for the next 5+ years. That probably means he'll receive better attention than most, which is good for him.

Thanks again fellas.

Edited by whudats

Update...

He was discharged on Saturday, and proceeded to have a parade of visitors come through over the next day or so. Well, last night he was feeling more chest pain, was short of breath, so they took him to the emergency room. They gave him oxygen and he felt much better. Too much activity!!

Of course he has to tell everyone all the stories about his surgery and so he's talking non-stop. Well, his wife is stopping that nonsense. No extended stays, no talking for hours and hours, etc.

He has some basic exercises he is supposed to do, but supposedly he will be back to golfing condition in 6-8 weeks. It's amazing to me. Here's a guy whose chest is cut open and is then hooked up to a machine that pumps blood through his body and air into his lungs. The arteries in his heart are chopped, fused, etc., not to mention the vein in his arm that they used for the bypass arteries...

I know this happens everyday, that it is the most commonly performed kind of operation in the country (open-heart surgery, that is). But I am still amazed that you can go from that kind of trama on your body to back at home resting in a matter of 5 days...