First HL2 Total Conversion Mod

anonymo

Yes, throwing rocks is fun but its the only way to kill bad guys, throwing stuff at them. It looks nothing like HL2 which is a big plus, all original areas, textures and things of that sort. I had some problems with the AI being stupid at times and also had some grass textures problems here and there. I beat it in about 30 minutes. I hope they finish it sometime.

(edited)

From my understanding, it's a Proof of Concept/term project. I'd say that from that standpoint, it looks all right. I still haven't had the ability to play it.

I watched the video and started the download right before I ran out the door for work.

I quite like it when game courses at colleges actually go so far as to develop playable games, as opposed to concept renders. It means a lot more to me that they can get a project working (albeit on an available engine) than to make a 3D rendered .avi using characters of no more than 2000 polys.

EDIT:

So now I've played it. I like it. Actually, I like it a lot. The Guildhall did a great job for a 5 month turnaround. This mod saps my PC's framerate, but I'm playing it the way it's meant to be played. All effects cranked (including the beautiful light bloom shader that gives everything a 'vaseline on the lenscap' look) with 8x Aniso at 1280x1024. The embossed death effect is also rather beautiful. It makes me look forward to seeing the real HDR effects that Lost Coast will herald for the engine. With all of the eyecandy, necessary for pimping the students' hard work, I'm getting 17-50 fps.

In direct comparisson with Half-Life 2, those same settings on my rig would net me 50-110fps. More for CS:S... It's beautifully done. My only gripe is getting the physics to work well for you in certain instances, where you're boxed in too much to get a good throw. The Keepers also don't work on a hitpoint system. It's either a killing blow, or it's not, which meant that I had to try some of those tight spots again and again.

Edited by Norguard