Video Editing Software?

General J

I just got a digital video camera Panasonic PV-GS35, and I am looking for a good program to edit and burn video to dvd. I am looking for a decently powerful program. It came with MotionDV, but it seems to not let you use mp3's for background music. Dunno if I will have to just convert to their file type or what.

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated!

All depends on how much you're willing to pay.

For a few hundred dollars, I'd recommend Adobe Premiere Pro. It's the most expensive, but also the most powerful and the most professional.

You can also look into Pinnacle Studio, which is a big step down, but will also allow you some freedom.

Below that, you run into the type of stuff that you're currently using.

Find a budget, and then try some demos. You'll feel the differences between the software packages, but aside from feeling out what you like, and the pricepoint, there's nothing I can give you.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really just looking for pretty simple stuff. Would like some fun transition effects to play around with. Also want the ability to add background music, preferrably in .mp3 or .wma. Would also like to be able to burn to a dvd so that the videos can be sent out to family and friends. Windows Movie Maker is pretty easy to put together movies, but you can't burn to dvd with out using another program. I guess I could do that, but I would rather just be able to burn from the same software.

I may be getting set up with Adobe Premier, and also had someone suggest Vegas

Video.

I will check out Pinnacle Studio as well.

I use VideoStudio, I didn't do much research into it as it was recommended by my father...father knows best yaknow....He said it had the best functionality for its price range....I think it was around $100

I have even recieved limited versions with video cards and capture cards. Have like three of them laying around that have never been used since I own the SE version. If you wanted to check one of them out I don't think it would be a problem. As long as there aren't legal issues, I wouldn't think there would be since I've never used them and I wouldn't be selling it, I'd be glad to mail you a copy.

Whoops.

I knew I forgot one, in there.

Vegas Video used to be owned by Sonic Foundary, a wonderful, beautiful company, who knew how to create fantastic products.

Then they sold all of their best products to Sony.

Luckily, Sony hasn't broken much. They've actually left it all alone for the most part and VegasVideo 5 and Acid 5 are practically the same as Vegas 4.0/Acid 4.0, I haven't been in a situation where I've used either of the newest ones extensively, so I can't comment on price or performance with authority.

I can however, tell you that Vegas, in terms of functionality is above all but Premiere. It's really, really intuitive and easy to use. If you want video filters and transitions, they are right at your fingertips, and can be added in seconds. Some of the more advanced video requirements (advanced chroma-keying aka: "blue-screen", et cetera) aren't available. Most of it is cookie-cutter, drag-n-drop, like the consumer Pinnacle software.

Grab a Vegas demo, if you can find one, and give it a whirl. It even looks friendly. It's #2 in my books, as far as Vegas 3/4 go. I can't believe I forgot about it... ...what have I become?

Whoops.

I knew I forgot one, in there.

Vegas Video used to be owned by Sonic Foundary, a wonderful, beautiful company, who knew how to create fantastic products.

Then they sold all of their best products to Sony.

Luckily, Sony hasn't broken much.  They've actually left it all alone for the most part and VegasVideo 5 and Acid 5 are practically the same as Vegas 4.0/Acid 4.0, I haven't been in a situation where I've used either of the newest ones extensively, so I can't comment on price or performance with authority.

I can however, tell you that Vegas, in terms of functionality is above all but Premiere.  It's really, really intuitive and easy to use.  If you want video filters and transitions, they are right at your fingertips, and can be added in seconds.  Some of the more advanced video requirements (advanced chroma-keying aka: "blue-screen", et cetera) aren't available.  Most of it is cookie-cutter, drag-n-drop, like the consumer Pinnacle software.

Grab a Vegas demo, if you can find one, and give it a whirl.  It even looks friendly.  It's #2 in my books, as far as Vegas 3/4 go.  I can't believe I forgot about it...  ...what have I become?

DUDE! Why don't you just recommend Pro Tools? Keep in mind Vegas is professional editing software and besides the learning curve it costs $500!!! You're so funnny Nor

Wow. You're right. I've forgotten about that. Vegas isn't quite pro, and yet, it does have a $500 pricetag. Like I said, I couldn't vouch for the price, seeing as I haven't used it in so long.

Premiere Pro is actually half the price, and twice as powerful.

It's still my second choice, moving down from Premiere.

I was looking around at Vegas Video, and there is a watered down version for home users that was going for ~$100. Seemed like it had some nice features to it. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am going to grab a few demo's and see which one I like the best.