Radeon 9500 Regular. Free upgrade

Guest ZDamage

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

There is a way to turn a Radeon 9500 non pro into a Pro via software. There is some information on it on Rage3d that it has been done and is a free upgrade. Amazing how ATI is almost screwing themselves in this regard. First people could turn a 9500 pro into a 9700 non pro via a bios update and a little hotwiring. Now this.

Yeah basically all electronic companies do that. It saves them a lot of money to make identical products and then just send them off with different firmware or a little lead cut by a laser and lower the price. All AMD processors of a series are all identical short of the small laser cut that lowers their clock rate. Same with the NVidia Geforce series. The GeForce 4 MX is just an upgraded and overclocked Geforce 2. However the MX and Ti's use completely different architectures. That is the basis behind overclocking. You can overclock any graphics card, but cooling begins to become an issue. I personally own a Geforce 4 MX and i love Nvidia's Ti series, but whatever someone tells you... keep in mind that ATI Radeon is a superior chip. The architecture in those chips is much better(which is why they dont have to come out with new detonator drivers every month like Nvidia). In the next few years i predict that radeon will be taking over the Graphics market. If you wanna see a really nice Graphics Card check out the Radeon FireGL series.(VERY EXPENSIVE industry grade cards). I dont know much about the Radeon 9000 series but im guessing that even though you can upgrade that 9500 pro to a 9700 you still aren't getting the same fast memory access that you are getting in the 9700. I know someone who does that re-soldering and saves a lot of money. Its kinda like cheating the system hehe :D

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

The FireGL cards are not for gaming. Stay away from them unless you do CAD and other advanced graphic designing only.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think its possible to turn a 9500 non pro into a 9500 pro. Considering the fact that the 9500 pro has 8 rendering pipelines and the 9500 only has 4.

Here

I guess it would be possible to overclock it and it might perform as well as a pro

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

There is a way if you have a non-pro that was put on a 9700 board. The software patch turns on the other 4 pipelines. The problem is that the 9700 has an external plug and the non pro 9500 doesn't, so turning on the other 4 pipeline causes artifacts.