cs + winamp?

stutters

yeah, i hate to admin it, but every now and again i listen to mp3's while playing cs.

does anyone know of any ingame winamp controls that work with source? hlamp seems to have been replaced by hlwc, which seems to be dead as well.

John, I find that the "Global Hotkey" setting in WinAmp works really well.

You can enable it in options and it makes me happy.

The default is CTRL+ALT+(key), I believe. I can't back it up without a PC with a WinAmp install, and I haven't seen one of those in a few weeks (having CS withdrawls into Week 3.).

CTRL+ALT+INS = play

" " +HOME = pause

" " +END = stop

" " +PG keys = track up/down

" " +arrow keys = volume up/down, ff and rw. (FF/RW are kinda messy in WinAmp. I don't recommend using it.)

I usually keep the volume around 5% or so. Loud enough so that I know what song it is, and I can pick up where I dropped off, if I get distracted by some crazy T, while I'm trying to listen to some tunes, but quiet enough to hear footsteps.

Give the hotkeys a try in game and see how it runs for you. Don't forget to enable them first, in the options menu. Only thing you can't do is choose the song you're looking for from the list, which, if you have a playlist like mine, would take you long enough to find for you to ALT+TAB anyway.

John:

Any WinAmp version after 3.01 should have it. I'm assuming it was around before that, but it's the first one that I can speak for.

In WinAmp 5.x, modern skin:

Options/Preferences/Global Hotkeys

It's half-way down the General Preferences list.

Got good news for you, John.

The option will still be available for you if you leave it enabled and switch back. Had to test it before I commented, but it should work, regardless of the skin you use...

...it's just a matter of finding the freaking option, depending on skin.

Oh, and I used to use the 2.0 skin, just like you, but then I learned that I could make the new 5.0 visualizations act as my desktop. Man, is that trippy. And so sweet it hurts.

GC Alumni

^ ROFL

curious, any desktop mods, or running xp straight out the box? i used to be a litestep fan, but years ago. stragefamous recommended some litestep replacement, but that dev seems to have gone under, too.

i'm running plain ole tasteless xp...

Heh. So am I, John, so am I. But there are some options burried deep in the visualization menus that let you set them as your background. They still warp and wrap and do all that they do in time with the music. Across your desktop, with your icons on top.

If you're interested, I can probably lead you there with screencaps.

Just explaining the steps may be kinda difficult. Anyway, when you close the visualization window, it goes back to whatever your desktop is, so if you actually need to focus, you can close the party down.

GC Alumni

pff, need to focus. thats what prescriptions are for.

no need for the screencaps, i've played with em a little in the past...then someone ended back on classic skin.

but dude, the global hotkeys, killer. bonus level +2.

maybe this will spawn a desktop mod thread....

• 2 weeks later...

I use Aston Shell (www.astonshell.com) best shell replacement i've seen.

but on that note - how do you run the game in a window mode? i CONSTANTLY find myself alt-tabbing to chat on AIM .. or does anyone know of a client that has a workaround method? I currently use Trillian.. and i know of No way to get the IM window to appear in the game.

any helpers?

I use Aston Shell (www.astonshell.com) best shell replacement i've seen.

but on that note - how do you run the game in a window mode? i CONSTANTLY find myself alt-tabbing to chat on AIM .. or does anyone know of a client that has a workaround method? I currently use Trillian.. and i know of No way to get the IM window to appear in the game.

any helpers?

It should allow you to select a "windowed mode" option in your video settings. I am at work right now, so I can't check for sure, but I htink that is how I set it for windowed mode.

THat's right, SJ! Someone else is going to use windowed mode. :spin2:

K, it's a pulldown option in the main video options. I can't check it right now, but on the video options screen, there's a pulldown for resolution, one for screen format (4:3, 16:9 and 16:10) and a third one for viewing mode (fullscreen and windowed).