Mitsubishi Eclipse/Spyder

Gond

So I'm giving serious consideration to either the 06 Eclipse or the 05 Spyder. The Eclypse is much sportier & faster but then I don't need that. The Spyder is a calmer motor & probably easier for the wife to handle (as well as myself...hehe) and it's a convertable. Always wanted a convertable. Also, the Spyder has 0% financing for 60 months :boing:

Anyone have any experience with Mitsubishi in general, good or bad? How bout those cars?

I've owned an '02 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-X for about a year now, and the only problems I've had were related to the previous owner (he replaced the brake pads w/o surfacing the rotors). As part of a Mitsu car group (Diamante Owners Group), we've only seen problems with the heater core (in addition to the standard wear & tear).

So one of Mitsu's cars (ranging from 92-04) is a good, solid car. Hope this helps a little!

As far as I know, Mitsubishi's are not known for all out reliability. They carry a decent warranty, but be warned that they have tried many different things (not that all manufacturers don't) to get out of living up to the warranty. They refused warranty transmission and drivetrain work to owners of lancer evo's, accusing them of participating in SCCA autocross events. They went as far as looking for owners names on websites posting the results for local events. These events are hard on suspension, tires, wheels, chassis, but not so much on tranny, engine, or drivetrain.

They are not known for being good "high mileage" cars either. Of course, I will say the same thing I always say when people ask for advice or bash a car manufacturer. Every car made today is very over manufactured. Machines do most of the molding, cutting, welding, and assembly of the car. If these are off by .000001 cm, problems will eventually arise. Or they might not. It's all luck of the draw. Do some test driving of the eclipse, and some of it's direct competition. Maybe arrange an extended test drive, and search around for magazine or personal experiences with the car. I know that car and driver does "extended" tests of cars, which involves an editor keeping the car for a certain period of time. They discuss ease of repair and maintenance, problems that come up, and overall driving experience.

Hope some of the info helps you.

Mitsubishi is a pretty good car.... they will last a long time if taking car of right oil changes every 3,000 miles and do what the owners manual tells you just like with any make of car... Mitsubishi has a realiable car..... they have there problems just like with any other make of car (except honda :D ) i would for for the 2006 eclipse! personally i think its saweet!!!! its rare to still i still only see one every once in awhile!! but there still a lot of 3rd gen eclipses out there but the 2006 is just awesome!! go for it!