Mup.sys

Playaa

First off I have Windows XP Pro, now the problem:

ok lately I've been having HUGE problems with my pc.

it started last weekend when I was playing against you guys. Computer locks up, I hit the reset button (because it wouldnt' do ANYTHING) and it boots up fine. Later I get a message that says "Hardware changes have been made, reboot to finish blah blah..." Well I don't reboot right away (cause I haven't made any hardware changes except switching the monitor 7 hours earlier) At the next reboot the computer says it was shut down improperly and gives me 5 choices to boot with:

1) Safe Mode

2) Safe Mode with Networking

3) Safe Mode with Command Prompt

4)Last known working settings

5) Boot up normally.

I select last known settings to be safe (though found out later it doesn't matter) As soon as I select it the computer reboots and goes back to the same screen. Ok, I select boot up normally...same thing. And if I select ANY of the Safe Mode settings it starts loading drivers, gets to Mup.sys and blue screens then reboots again.

After researching a bit on the internet I found out it can be a common problem and it has something to do with IRQ ports (which I believe Mup.sys assigns). I also found out that you must keep selecting options until (at random) it will work and boot up. I did everything the internet said I should and it worked...for 2 days. Then same thing again, and it has slowly decreased to no matter what happens, if I finally get Windows up it will either shut itself down with errors or it will not boot up again the next time I reboot. Either way it ALWAYS causes the error again. From what i've been able to learn it hasta do with hardware not software, however I've even tried reinstalling Windows XP anyway and it didn't work.

I'm basically asking if any of you have heard of this and know another way to fix it. I'm staying home from work tomorrow so that I can individually replace parts with parts from my fathers pc to find out which part it is. I'm hoping it's not something on the motherboard cause then I'm screwed.

p.s. --> I've already switched video cards and taken out the DVD (last hardware change made to the pc) and neither of those fixed it.

help?...

:(

well...heres the solution to everyones comp problem.....Its not as hard as everyone says it is...First off you hard drive has ALL the information on it. So if some of the info gets corrupt just replace it.

All you gotta do is....use a floppy disc to boot. Any kind as long as you get to the DOS prompt outside windows. just type format c:. Then boot your comp off the windows xp pro cd and install. Simple.

I dont see why everyone says its really hard. I guess if you dont know what your doing, it will take a few hours, mainly because

It takes about 30-45 minutes to install xp(depending on your comp). But if your comp is running slow or whatever. Just format the HD and it will speed things way up. I just formatted and put xp on my roomates PII-233, now it runs 100x faster.

If you dont wanna have to have burn all your saved stuff to cd, having two hard drives in very convient.

actually it had nothing to do with the hard drive...I spent a long time replacing different components and I think it came down to the RAM

instead of 512mb of DDR Ram I now have 128 SDRam........but my pc works

well if your mup.sys is corrupt, it has to be your hard drive or i should say the information stored there. If this problem occured after your changed ram. then I would assume that the mup.sys file doesnt like it and since I do not know how to edit the mup.sys of how to fix the problem. I would then format my hard drive.

nope...it works fine with the 128meg SDRam chip in there (though it won't run games without locking up)

so now I hafta figure out if it's my 512mb chip of DDR Ram that's screwed up or if it's my DDR Ram slots that are screwed up....I'm hoping the chip...

Curse you crazy people and your multiple type RAM slots!

If you're tired of computer problems, two words: Use Linux!

Of course, it isn't primate-user-friendly like windows, but you'll never see another blue screen of death again! ;)

yeah but I'd also never code in VS.NET anymore and since I just spent 3 years of my life and close to 30,000 dollars learning to be a windows programmer...............let's just say Linux would be an expensive choice

Ya i would tell you to check your components but it sounds like you did that. If you are familiar with XP you can go into the MMC and run advanced diagnostics from there. If your gonna find an error somewhere thats where it is. If you need any help with the MMC just IM me (skngwkbrdng). Hope that helps. 8P)