Ghost Experts??

Mini_Me

Situation:

LAN setup: one XP Pro machine gets IP/Gateway from a Cisco 1721 router.

I have a Linux machine that I want to use a Ghost boot disk and access the image on the XP machine.

Cant map drive using machine name as Cisco Router doesnt give out NetBios info, can't use IP as the XP machine is DHCP'd and I can't guarentee what it would be. Cant use bootable CDROM as these machines dont have CDROM drives, and costs to get them is too high.

How to ghost the Linux box using an image located on the XP machine?

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

if you are referring to the program ghost. I do not believe it works for Linux.

So your cisco router doesn't support DNS? Thats interesting in itself. If you have your IP lease set long enough (couple days) and don't turn off the XP machine, you should be able to use the IP...least in theory.

So do you have a Linux image on your XP pro machine that you want to copy? If you are trying to clone the XP machine, it isnt supposed to be possible because of XP's hardware registering. It is usually easier if you use a third machine as a multicast server and pull the image off the source and ghost it to its destination. If you dont want to use the network, pull the hard drive out that has the image and put it in with the linux machine and boot up with a ghost boot disk and it should let you select the image from the source HD. Im not sure if ghost recognizes Linux partitions so you might have to wipe the mbr with the "fdisk /mbr" command and then try it. Hope this helps. (btw try to get a static IP, they tend to be usefull from time to time.)

GC Founder
So your cisco router doesn't support DNS? Thats interesting in itself. If you have your IP lease set long enough (couple days) and don't turn off the XP machine, you should be able to use the IP...least in theory.
Yes in thoery I could do this. I have to repeat this procedure at 227 locations nationwide, so you can see the management nitemare trying to make all the boot disks with specific IPs and HOPE they dont reboot their machine before they get it.

If you dont want to use the network, pull the hard drive out that has the image and put it in with the linux machine and boot up with a ghost boot disk and it should let you select the image from the source HD. Im not sure if ghost recognizes Linux partitions so you might have to wipe the mbr with the "fdisk /mbr" command and then try it.

As it stands now the solution I am going with is sending out a new HD to each location. They ship old HD back to me, my team reimages it, then ships out to next site. [repeat process 227 times].

(btw try to get a static IP, they tend to be usefull from time to time.)
The router, adtran, jetdirect are all static, but for ease of use, the PCs/Laptops get DHCP.

So your cisco router doesn't support DNS?

The IOS itself can handle DNS, but no it does not give out DNS info.

But DNS wasnt the issue - NetBios was/is.

So do you have a Linux image on your XP pro machine that you want to copy? If you are trying to clone the XP machine, it isnt supposed to be possible because of XP's hardware registering.

No the .GHO file would be ON the XP machine. And yes you can ghost the XP OS. We have multiple XP ghost images we use across the company.

The IOS itself can handle DNS, but no it does not give out DNS info.

But DNS wasnt the issue - NetBios was/is.

For my knowledge gain...is the use of NetBios because of the ghost software? I didn't think NetBios had anthing to do with TCP.