Fat Burn order theory thing

Fatty

Duke shared something with me that's probably common knowledge in the fitness world....but I had never heard it and it makes great sense to me.

I've been doing this for a few weeks now, seems to be working well. Feel great too.

Here's the theory, correct me if I error:

Your body burns these things in this order:

Glucose Stores -> Fat -> Protein

After 30-40 minutes of exercise, your body has burned off any glucose that it has stored up, and then begins to burn fat.

As soon as you introduce sugar to the body after this happens, your body goes back to burning the glucose. However, if you do not introduce sugars, your body continues to burn fat. Sooooo, working out at night and then not eating afterward means that while you sleep, you are burning fat.

With this in mind, the model I've been following involves me not working out until at least a couple hours after my last meal so that I've had time to process the food (which, by the way has turned into my smallest meal of the day. I eat in the morning and eat a nice lunch as my big meal...and then have been going very lean on dinner) and then workout. I then do not take anything in until the next morning. This morning meal is also delayed if I'm not growling for food, which means my fat-burning session is still on the clock.

I'd love to do some reading on this theory. It makes sense to me and I believe it's working very well in my circumstance.

My progress in the challenge thread.

What this also means is that my 6 mile trainings that take 60 or 90 minutes (depends if I'm jogging or climbing hills) sets me up for some serious fat-burning.

Lately I've been changing my routine often. Last week I did 6 miles / day for 6 straight days and no weight work at all.

This week (after 3 days completely off) I'm doing 4 miles / day followed by 20 minutes of weight (this keeps me to an hour total workout very easily). I just like the change in routine. I will continue this until next Friday or Saturday without missing a day and then rest. My goal is to lose 6 lbs this month, and I want to get a good start on it. The weight is more and more stubborn to come off at this time....more like using a chisle now instead of a machette'.

I'm not sure yet, but I may attempt 8 miles every other day with weights inbetween on the following week. Not sure yet. Once I hit my target weight, which I'm predicting is going to eventually be 170, I'll have to cut back to maintenance and see if I level out.

GC Founder

Translation Request:

What's your take on this compared with my theory and the fact that I feel my high-intensity, long workouts has been burning lots of fat. I've read this and I'm not totally sure whether or not this is supporting the high-itensity as a way to burn the stored fat, or extended low-intensity.

Give it a read:

Exercise Intensity and Fuel Use

The relative contributions of fat and carbohydrate to energy vary with exercise intensity. Low-intensity activities such as walking strongly stimulate lipolysis from peripheral adipocytes, while intramuscular triglycerides contribute little or nothing to total energy expenditure (1). The rate of carbohydrate use is also low: carbohydrate needs are met predominantly by circulating blood glucose, with little or no muscle glycogen breakdown (figure 1: not shown). The rate of appearance of fatty acids into the plasma peaks during low-intensity exercise (25% to 30% of VO2 max) and then declines as exercise intensity increases.

In contrast, the rate of fat oxidation is highest during moderate activity such as easy jogging (65% of VO2 max). At such an intensity, plasma free fatty acids and intramuscular triglyceride contribute equally to the overall rate of fat oxidation. During high-intensity exercise (85% of VO2 max), the rate of total fat oxidation falls, mainly because the appearance of fatty acids into the plasma is suppressed. At the same time, lipolysis of intramuscular triglycerides does not rise substantially when exercise intensity increases from 65% to 85% of VO2 max. This would not affect recreational athletes because most cannot sustain high-intensity exercise for more than 10 to 15 minutes without accumulating high (greater than 10 mM) concentrations of lactic acid in the working muscles and blood, which would cause discomfort and stop activity.

When low-intensity exercise continues more than 90 minutes, the pattern of substrate metabolism changes little relative to the first 20 to 30 minutes of exercise. The same is true of moderate-intensity exercise (65% of VO2 max): the rate of total fat or carbohydrate oxidation changes little after 2 hours of jogging or cycling at this intensity compared with the first 30 minutes. However, this level of exercise induces a progressive increase in the mobilization of fatty acids from peripheral adipocytes into the plasma (1). Therefore, the contribution of intramuscular substrates (triglyceride and glycogen) to total energy expenditure probably decreases when the duration of moderate-intensity exercise increases beyond 90 minutes.

This was taken from: http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/09sep/hawley.htm

It's a nice article from what I can see, just want to disect the above section a little more thoroughly.

I'm also going to pick up some caffeine pills and see what that does for my distance workouts. Interesting. Anyone ever use caffeine as a training aid?

I'm also going to pick up some caffeine pills and see what that does for my distance workouts.  Interesting.  Anyone ever use caffeine as a training aid?

I wouldn't do it. Been there done that, not worth it in my opinion. Why do you need to do this?

As far as the article goes, basically what I got out of it is that exercising between 65 and 85% VO2 is best for Fat burning. Anything higher intensity doesn't allow the body to metabolize those fat cells into your blood stream to get rid of them. IMO, I'd combine your first theory with this one and keep doing the 40 in to an hour on the treadmill but stay in that 65-85% VO2 range.

Another thing I'd add to your training routine....I know I read it somewhere recently, I'll see if I can find the article. Lifting BEFORE cardio has been proven to do more for fatburning/weightloss than the opposite. Might be something to look into as well.