9800XT

soul .gc

Ok - I have a 9800XT.

Ever since I installed it I get the following problems:

WoW crashes quite a bit due to driver conflicts.

FEAR has a bunch of red static lines that randomly appear throughout the game

I get 3 CLI.EXE programs that run in my process window

I am using the Catalyst drivers from ATI. Are there better drivers to get? I heard Omega had drivers that would work but just do not know enough.

yea - just reinstalled XP yesterday after formatting and pulled the latest version from ATI.

Reading the WoW tech forums they state that there is sometimes a problem with the RAM that could cause this but I have never had this in the year I have been playing, the only change was the 9800XT.

My other option is that there is some problem with the way WoW works with the 9800XT and my RAM since that is written up a lot on their tech site. In another thread I am looking at upgrading my MB and CPU and I will also upgrade RAM at the same time. The question now I guess is what RAM to use.... Newegg has regular 3200, dual-channel, OC stuff - I am a newb at RAM knowledge.

. In another thread I am looking at upgrading my MB and CPU and I will also upgrade RAM at the same time. The question now I guess is what RAM to use.... Newegg has regular 3200, dual-channel, OC stuff - I am a newb at RAM knowledge.

What GPU did you have before 9800XT? Thats not a bad card (not the best,

but not bad) If there is a problem with the RAM it would be happening all the

time, not just in game. I believe you have to have a mobo that supports

dual channel before you can use it. Check out the mobo website & see if there

are any restricions. This deal your looking at is older stock. If it does not say

it supports dual channel I would think it does not. Be careful what you do Soul,

the ONLY reason I recommended you jump on that deal is because you

said your going to upgrade again in 1-2 years. There is no real upgrading the

stuff your looking to purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the same card soul. I just bought fear and have yet to install it. When i do, i will see if i get the same problems. This card is supposedly midrange in quality, but for some reason my fps in css stays around 20-70, even with settings on low (majority 20-40 when more than 10 people are playing, dunno why). Anyone know how to make fps better? I used some of the console optinos like ragdoll and such, but that doesnt help.