Over-Righteous Admins

Guest daswanger

Guest daswanger
Guest daswanger
Guest daswanger
Guests

Hello, I've played in the GC servers for some time now, and one thing I've noticed consistantly is the fact that there are a few over righteous admins... I understand the need to keep the game civil for all players, but banning a person because he said "dammit" over the voice communication seems over doing it. Also, I noticed someone getting banned for reconnecting twice... he was a friend of mine and he had purple textures, when he reconnected he was accused of "exploting a bug and doing it to get money", which I found to be absolutely absurd. He was then promptly banned. It seemed as if before he was leading the other side in kills, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. If the admins felt threatened or tinkled off at him, but this seems totally unacceptable and quite immature in my opinion. Overall I enjoy the servers, but when admins get too trigger happy with the ban button, I find the enjoyability of the game to fall quite a bit. I'm not saying all admins in your servers are horrible, but it's been a consistent trend that while trying to "preserve maturity in game" some admins tend to over do it and in fact ruin the entire experience. If anyone has read the novel 1985, i find it somewhat akin to that in it's logic...

Well, we do ask that people do not cuss, period, so if they happen to do it more than once, they'll be kicked. Those are the rules, and if someone cannot abide they are removed from the server. They are welcome to come to the forums and ask to be unbanned if they believe it was unneccessary or they did not know the rules.

As far as exploiting a bug, we also ask that people do not switch to spec and back to get money, it's really not that big a deal. Saving up and running out of money is part of the game, so when people use the spec-exploit we consider it cheating. If he was rejoining, and wants to be unbanned, he can go to the "got banned?" forum and explain.

The reason that the rules are so strictly enforced is that if people are allowed to bend the rules, they will eventually begin to break them.

ps- I don't know if you are referring to some novel I have never heard of, but George Orwell's book was "1984", and in that case people did not have a choice. We don't force anyone to play in our servers, so it's different.

GC Alumni

Welcome to the forums!

Never read 1985 (never read 1984 either ;)). If someone's been banned that really did nothing, I'm sure it can be cleared up by them posting, and even if they did do something it can usually be resolved by them posting and apologizing. The other side is that it could get to be a problem if someone's too lenient. If some of the admins start letting little things slide too much, people will start to act up. If some people find the rules to be too tightly enforced, there are lots of other servers out there, but I think this shows pretty well what a lot of us think about strict enforcement of the rules.

P.S. To clear purple textures the easiest thing is to minimize and then restore CS, for me this works just about all the time. Changing resolution also seems to work well.

EDIT: Witt I knew you were gonna post but I was sure I'd beat you to it...

Edited by mookie

Thanks for the post, welcome to the forums, even under these circumstances.

I didnt witness the events in question, but there is usually more to the story than any one person sees, games get hectic, maybe this person swearing was warned a couple of times that you missed, i dunno, but we do run a clean server, and it starts at the bottom, when you catch it all from the smallest offense, the larger ones become few and far between.

Everyone that wears a GC tag, pays for our servers that we welcome you to play in, and the admins have the responsibilty of maintaining the atmposhere at the expense of their own game, and we encourage them to respond quickly as to not disrupt the server with bickering and arguing.

Bans arent always permanent, it could have been a temp ban, or even a perm ban can be resolved and lifted here in the forums, but the server is never the place to debate it.

Could an admin have acted a little harshly? Sure, we are all human, but whether or not he did remains to be seen. Admin is a tough job, not as glorious as some think, and ours do a pretty good job, and I think our full servers tell the story there.

So, we will keep an eye on the banned forums as usual, and resolve the situation when it's presented.

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays.