IRC

witt

Hey I'm trying to figure out how to use IRC and I need a bit of help. I registered an account with gamesurge, so I have my username and password and I need to know what to do with it. Please help me out, and keep in mind you're dealing with someone who has never used this before, and is a big noob. Thank you.

in irc 6.x

tools -> options

Connect

-options

click perform

click add

find gamesurge (if it's not there, click cancel, but it will do this on every network you use...like irc.wittspr0nshack.com)

in the "perform commands box" put something like this:

/msg authserv@services.gamesurge.net auth password (replace password with your uber secret password)

click ok

click ok

everytime you connect

Here's a pretty in depth guide I typed a while back for the guys in Mmmm. I think most of the stuff is still current although I haven't been using IRC very much recently. Anyways here it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, what is the point of IRC? IRC (internet Relay Chat) is the preferred communication tool for all things CS related in terms of leagues, matches and scrims. It is through IRC that you can find another team to scrim with and set up match times for CAL. If no other Mmmm are on and you fell like scrimming you can even g into a channel and "ring" for another clan.

Where do you download it? You can download the client here or you can use a third party client. The one that I use is called hix script and if you prefer you can download it here

Once you have it downloaded and installed you'll want to open the program. The window you see will be the status window. At the bottom of the window is a line to enter text; copy and paste these lines into that text area and hit enter.

/server -a irc.gamesurge.net -g GameSurge -d GameSurge IRC Network

/server -a irc.au.gamesurge.net -g GameSurge -d GameSurge Australian Servers

/server -a irc.ca.gamesurge.net -g GameSurge -d GameSurge Canadian Servers

/server -a irc.eu.gamesurge.net -g GameSurge -d GameSurge European Servers

/server -a irc.us.gamesurge.net -g GameSurge -d GameSurge US Servers

After doing that click on the options icon at the top left of the screen (its the one with the hammer and folder). Click on the Connect category and then select GameSurge from the drop down menu next to IRC Network ( it may be ath the very bottom of the list or in alphabetical order). In the drop down menu below the IRC network one select GameSurge US Servers. Enter your name and email(they dont need to be real, in fact it doesnt really matter) and a username (the username u select here can be changed whenever. Click on the options subcategory in the Connect Category and check the box for "Connect on Startup". Go back to the Connect category and click on Connec to IRC.

If you're using HIX a bunch of channels will automatically pop up. You can close these by simply clicking close on the top right of the channel's window.

Next to the options icon there is an icon with a pound sign and and a plus sign, click on it. On the right side of the window click add and enter #GamersCoalition into the channel space and check the box at the bottom "Join Channel on Connect. #GamersCoalition should now be listed in the channels window. Double click on it and you will enter the channel.

Those are the basics for getting IRC set up. If you want to scrim you join the #sourcescrim channel. You can join any channel by typing /j #channelname in any channel window. If you want to ring for someone else you can join #sourceringer

I'll post a link below with information on how to authenticate which is basically a way of registering yourself on the network which allows for admin access in channels.

IRC uses very little if any system resources so you can just minimze it to task bar when you're not using it.

Post up with any questions.

The link to the user guide on how to authenticate is here:

http://www.gamesurge.net/newuser/