Anyone played that silly Shadowground demo yet?

Goofus Maximus

It seems to use the Doom 3 engine, downloads through steam, and really needs a LOT of work. Bad acting, textures that don't look like they're using a state of the art engine, and bugs galore. :P

Still, there were lots of monsters, and it kind of reminded me of "Take No Prisoners" (DX5 vintage game; a top-down shooter from long ago, which I really liked).

Edited by Goofus Maximus

I played it. It was, meh. Reminded me of a game I used to play called Infantry. But SOE bought it and the second they did they started charging for it and at the same time removing parts of the game.

I don't know why they had that guy do the main voice, he's the worst voice actor of the whole lot.

(edited)

I think the original game is in German, but even so, the voice acting is worse than a bad anime dub...

At least Dungeon Siege II's voice acting is so hammily over-the-top that it's campy and fun. This games acting just ... bleh. I notice that many of the metal boxes (the ones with the beveled corners), barrels, and textures are rip-offs from Doom 3, which along with the lighting, make me think this is running on some form of the Doom engine.

They need to work on the game launcher too. There's no need for a simple dialog box to be that laggy. Still, the gameplay can get intense toward the end, which kind of makes up for it. Take No Prisoners is STILL better than this game though, even with it's dated graphics. I'd still play that game, if it weren't for the DirectX mouse-lag issue, which all early DX games suffered from.

Edited by Goofus Maximus

The engine is actually all original. It was being made by some people and it was called the Storm 3D engine, then the people who made Shadowgrounds, Frozenbyte, bought the engine and worked on it abit. But yeah, it does look just like Doom 3.