Loss

mookie

Every once in a while I've been getting 20-25% loss for long periods at a time (usu a half hour or more). I've mostly seen it on Mayhem (because I play there more) but I've seen it on Recrudescence, Immutable, and Private Parts also. I'm pretty sure it's not on my end or a routing problem since it will only happen for one server at a time (i.e. if I jump straight from Mayhem to Recrud I get no loss there, if I go back I still have the loss; they're on the same net). I took a picture of it tonight, but I can't see anything interesting:

mayhemplot5257oo.th.jpg

Also, loss stays around one fourth or one fifth regardless of my rates. If I drop cl_updaterate to 20, I get 15-16 in. If I go to 100, I get 80 or less. Usu I run 50 and get 38-40 in all the time.

Anyone else get this?

From: http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Tickrate#Choke

6. Loss Are lost packets due to Network problems, either with your computers connection to your ISP, your ISP, or the ISP that is hosting the Server or anywhere in between. If you have loss then you will probably have choke. Do not bother trying to solve Choke problems if you have Loss problems. Resolving loss problems is done by following standard Network Trouble Shooting Procedures. Get a friend to help you or call your ISP, or ask in the Game Server Providers Forum for help. Helping you with network problems is outside the purview of this document, and people who know what they are doing get paid 3 or 4 figure dollar amounts an hour to solve them.

If there were loss on the server side, it would affect all users. Loss is usually your ISP or something on your end, like a router dying.