UFC 61: Bitter Rivals

Pope

UFC 61 is Saturday night at 10 P.M.

The card looks great so far.

Andrei Arlovski is fighting Tim Sylvia in the main event for the Heavyweight Belt.

Jeff Monson, one of my favorite fighters, is facing a newcomer to the UFC.

Frank Mir is fighting for the first time since his motorcycle accident. I'd like to see him do well even though he's cocky as FLIP!

Ken Shamrock is fighting Tito Ortiz in a battle of good versus evil. Ken is the playing the part of hero while Tito is the cocky bad guy everyone loves to hate.

There should be lots of great jiu-jitsu in this UFC. There are a bunch of great grapplers who won't disappoint!

I think everyone should cheer for Monson and Shamrock. Monson is a smart guy with a master's in psychology and Ken is a decent guy who is sadly past his prime. :(

$1 on arlovsky and $1 on ortiz

We're going to be watching it at Fragfest with the online payperview. This is the first fight broadcast over the internet.

It'd be nice to see Shamrock pull something out, but he's old and the sport has evolved beyond him...which was painfully obvious when he brought in a nutritionist instead of striking/grappling coaches to this season's ultimate fighter. Too bad, he could have benefitted from bringing in other coaches like Ortiz did. Ortiz was training the whole season with his team.

In the second arlovsky/sylvia fight arlovsky dropped sylvia and stood there and let him get up instead of jumping on him and finishing the fight. A few seconds later, sylvia did the exact same thing dropping him with a modest power punch, but sylvia jumped on him and finished it. Arlovsky got greedy and wanted to sleep sylvia. They both can put a lot of power into their strikes, but Arlovsky has more athleticism and broader skills I think. Sylvia can definitely win this fight, but I'm expecting Arlovsky to win it late in the first round.

And there is a pretty good undercard, I wonder who all will fight in the prelims that they show after the main bouts.

(edited)

Yah, Shamrock didn't exactly make the greatest coach. I still hope he wins...even though it's a long shot.

The undercard looks great. I hope they show Monson's fight though. :D

I'm expecting Arlovsky to win it late in the first round.

I think it'll last more than one round this time.

Edited by PopeInnocentIII(HereticHunter)

What did Ortiz and Shamrock have to say about eachother on the preview?

I went with Ortiz because

1: He beat Shamrock already

2: He purposely tries to get Shamrock mad and succeeds.

3. Shamrock is WAY too hot headed, he would have to start winning in the beginning and keep it going throughout the fight.

(edited)

Yves Edwards V Joe Stevenson

Joe beat the heck outta Yves' head. That didn't look fun for Yves.

EDIT: I've never seen so much blood in either Pride FC or the UFC before. They better clean that ring up before the next fight.

Edited by PopeInnocentIII(HereticHunter)

Tim Sylvia V Andrei Arlovski

Damn

Yah, that's my recap.

Well virtually all of the fighters I wanted to win lost and I didn't get to see Monson fight. I think I could have spent $40 more intelligently : (

Good recap! They showed the Monson recap at the very end, he pounded the guy out with backhands. He'll be interesting to see up against Sylvia! Limbs are too short I'm afraid, but he's so strong and good on the ground I think he can bully his way inside and get a submission.

If Herb Dean was Michelin, and the UFC was Formula 1, we'd get free PPV for the next fight.

If Herb Dean was Michelin, and the UFC was Formula 1, we'd get free PPV for the next fight.

Haha, amen to that. I've got nothing against Herb Dean. He's usually a good ref.

Even good refs make BIG mistakes every now and then. :bang:

He was leaning on Ortiz before anything happened. He MUST have had instructions to protect Shamrock because Ortiz had said he wanted to be the first person to end someone's career with an injury.

• 1 month later...

Oct. 10th Shamrock vs Ortiz 3. It will be on Ultimate fight night live on spike and will be free. Tito is probably one of my favorite fighters right now, the show he put on in ultimate fighter 3 made me a fan again.