Know about paint jobs?

Chief

I have a dark green Solara that is strictly stock. The other day a golf ball landed on my hood and chipped the paint all the way through to metal (and left a small dent almost like hail damage sized)...then today there's a big ol chip behind the passenger side door also with a dent. A bit high unless it was a truck door that hit it, but I have no idea where it came from. Anyway, I may be getting a job in Las Vegas and I started thinking about a nice pearl white.

Anyone know how much a decent--can't afford show quality--paint job where they actually sand it down and redo the base coat and everything with a few good layers and clear coat costs?

Links or ballpark costs appreciated!

Solara_pimpin.jpg

Maaco would be the cheapest game in town. If the rest of the paint is in good condition, they should be able to repair it and blend the paint and clearcoat so it is un-noticeable, there shouldnt be a need to repaint the whole car, or even whole panels for that matter.

A regular autobody shop will usually have higher skilled people, but as far as money goes...i think Maaco will be your best bet.

Their website doesn't make it sound like they actually sand it down and start over with the base coat. Going from dark green to pearl white (like a Lexus) will need a full media blast won't it? Does maaco do that stuff too?

OOOO, I missed that part...you wanna change the color, thats a different story.

You are getting into a big project there.....to change a color, especially on todays cars...there is so much hidden color, like under the hood, the door jambs, trunk, not to mention the entire undercarriage.

It can be done...but expect to spend THOUSANDS, even if you do alot of the work yourself.

I can tell you from my experience custom painting motorcycles...that the paint materials alone to do a job like that will be well over $1000 alone.