rates

TheGeek

(edited)

I have no idea what they do and i have no idea on what they should be at.

I've heard that if its laggy put your rate low, like at 4. And I've heard, if your laggy put your rates at 1500.

Inform me

Oh! and tick rate. I have a mani plugin on my com and its tickrate is at 33. I have no idea what a tick rate does.

Edited by {GpL}TheGeek998

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
I have no idea what they do and i have no idea on what they should be at.

I've heard that if its laggy put your rate low, like at 4. And I've heard, if your laggy put your rates at 1500.

Inform me

Oh! and tick rate. I have a mani plugin on my com and its tickrate is at 33. I have no idea what a tick rate does.

http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/general/mu...networking.html

Great place to start although it does have a bit of technical jargon.

Basically your rates coincide with the tickrate of the server. The two numbers in the middle and on the right if you have net_graph 3 on are what the server's tick is at. Say you're on a GC server which are all at 100 tick. You would put cl_updaterate to 100 so cl_updaterate 100 and cl_cmdrate 100 and rate 30000 or a bit higher, if you start to get a bit of choke and a high ping you can turn them a bit down. WIth servers that are 66 and 33 tick you should have your updaterate and cmdrate around 66 for both.

If you have a decent computer (something with tech from the past 3 years or so) and connection (which most have), crank them up to 100 each, with 30000 rate. Back off slightly if you're seeing issues or adjust your graphics settings down. Too low of settings will also not "feel" right.

I've been tempted to force a min/max updaterate of like 70 to 80 as it seems when people's rates are all about the same, the servers play fantastic. Dunno if it's with the netcode or what. I've experimented with it while playing with good results, but never have really taken the time to test.