what a single bad AT&T router can do to your net

Laz.e.rus

I live in Washington state. ATT has a bad router when you leave the area and has for quite a while:

me - Vancouver canada:

11827 / 998

me- LibertyLake Wash

10132 / 935

--->me- LA

558 / 701

me- Denver

5506 / 628

me - SanJose

7873 / 548

--->me - Chicago

402 / 496

I live in Washington state. ATT has a bad router when you leave the area and has for quite a while:

me - Vancouver canada:

11827 / 998

me- LibertyLake Wash

10132 / 935

--->me- LA

558 / 701

me- Denver

5506 / 628

me - SanJose

7873 / 548

--->me - Chicago

402 / 496

Routers typically don't go "bad" and still pass traffic. One of several things is happening:

(When I say ISP, I'm referring to who provides the network you're using, not who provides the last mile work)

1) Your ISP is peering at one of the public peering nocs (If any still exist) Mae East/Mae West are examples

Traffic flow at these places is often poor

2) Your ISP has shifted it's traffic around (due to re-engineering, or line failure etc)

3) Your ISP does not have an adequate peering relationship with AT&T

4) You're in canada, any change there's maple syrup in the optics? :)

1&3 are most likely something that you can only have an effect on if you are a large customer. Number 2 is something you can complain about. It's really hard to figure out from just traces though. There may be some information at nanog.org (I think they have stats on major peers on their website)

If you post an actual traceroute (tracert) that may help pinpoint where the issue is I couldn't make sense of what you posted, but I'm quite tired :)

Yes, I spent far too long working for a very large hosting provider (I wrote support software in their backbone group, so I don't know a ton about networking. . . . take the above with a grain of salt)

Yes, having a major yahoo presence 30 yards from my desk was fantastic.

Ive done a million trace routes and spoken with my isp. Its a confirmed router issue at a single ip that att is refusing to fix, and has been refusing for almost a year.

Also, Ive gamed with/know several players in Washington with different providers who suffer the same issues when going out of the area at the same time.