Xbox 360 Resolution Question

whudats

Okay, the answer seems obvious, but I can't tell...

Which resolution is better (i.e. higher)?

1) 1280x1024

or

2) 1360x768

They both look the same to me. If you just go down the list, from lowest to highest, then #2 should be better...right?

Yeah, I looked up the native resolution of my TV and set it to that (1260 x 768). Do you guys know how this works with HD? I'm assuming that means that my games will run in 720p? Cuz the TV is capable of 1080i...

The reason I'm asking is because I just switched to the VGA cable from the component HD cable and am trying to get the settings just right.

I'm assuming that means that my games will run in 720p? Cuz the TV is capable of 1080i...

You can set which HD resolution you want your Xbox360 set on. Just make sure youre using component cables and that your TV can support the settings. If you say your TV can support 1080i, then set it for 1080i. My preference is 1080p, but I dont know if your TV can support that.

"The main tradeoff between the two is that 1080i may show more detail than 720p for a stationary shot of a subject at the expense of a lower effective refresh rate and the introduction of interlace artifacts during motion"

700px-Common_Video_Resolutions.svg.png

Edited by YoMamma

My TV is a little older and doesn't support 1080p, unfortunately. Just 1080i.

The VGA display options screen doesn't do it by HD type (i.e. 480p, 720p, 1080i, etc.), it does it like a PC and gives you resolution dimensions. So, while I could set it to 1080i with the component cable, I can only set it to one of the dimensions listed above. The TV doesn't accept 1920x1080 as a resolution when I select it, probably because the 1080 through the VGA is "p" and not "i."

I did notice that, when I start up the 360, the display shows up faster with it set to the native res (rather than the 1280x1024), probably because it isn't down-converting the signal to 1260x180....?

Maybe? :unsure:

LCD and Plasma TVs that say they support 1080i only mean that they can handle a signal (like DirectTV's HD service) at 1080i, but the TV itself down-converts that signal to 720p. This is why you can't select 1920x1080 (as 1080i) out of that list. As yomamma pointed out, 720p is 1280x720. Now most LCD's are actually 1360x768, so double check your res. I know a lot of manufacturers are weird when it comes to actually disclosing the exact pixel count of their screens...even in the manuals!

LCD and Plasma TVs that say they support 1080i only mean that they can handle a signal (like DirectTV's HD service) at 1080i, but the TV itself down-converts that signal to 720p. This is why you can't select 1920x1080 (as 1080i) out of that list. As yomamma pointed out, 720p is 1280x720. Now most LCD's are actually 1360x768, so double check your res. I know a lot of manufacturers are weird when it comes to actually disclosing the exact pixel count of their screens...even in the manuals!

Thanks Mo. That makes sense. :hug: