Pontiac...evolved

[LaW]Maverick

So I know a lot of you already know I got my new Pontiac Grand Prix GXP ('06) and I love it...I mean, I love the thing....but I am so impressed with it that it lead me to do some more reading out of curiosity.

It turns out that Pontiac is truly evolving. Their new line-up is seriously impressive with great features, prices, and performance.

Here: Example

The Solstice GXP was more loved by motortrend than the Z4 AND the 350Z! How sweet is that?

On top of that, if you go back in the article and look at the 0-60 times, my big Grand Prix GXP is right on par with a 350z, and would take it in high gears (60 - 100).

Like I said, I'm impressed....

What do you guys think, do you feel that GM is finally getting their heads out from brown town? :boing:

Maverick' date='Dec 18 2006, 05:00 PM' post='382405']

Here: Example

The Solstice GXP was more loved by motortrend than the Z4 AND the 350Z! How sweet is that?

That online piece is a much cutdown version of the whole article I remember reading in Motortrend a couple of months back. I don't think that it was more loved, but since with the models they were testing the BMW came in at nearly twice as expensive as the Solstice the view was that it won as a "car for the masses" rather than it being a better or more lovable car.

The quote, "If you can afford the best, we're envious. The Z4 recalibrates your expectations of how involving a sports car can be--peerless in quality, with pinpoint accurate road manners." probably sums it up.

Having said that, Pontiac should be building cars for the masses and if they can build a car that fit's in with most people's price range and is nearly as good as a more expensive option then they deserve to do well.

But I do remember reading the article and wondering why they'd put it in competition with a car so obviously at a different price point, it would have been better to include an S2000 or the Soltice's stablemate the Sky Redline and see how it matched up against them. I can't see someone going for either a Soltice or Sky if they could afford the Z4 (which would be better compared with a baseline Porsche Boxster or Mercedes SLK350).

Just to add, I'm not bashing Pontiac, or GM as a whole, that they've produced cars like the Sky (which I prefer the looks of) and the Soltice is a great thing, and if they continue to develop cars in that route, they deserve more success than they've been having. (In fact, I'm seriously considering a GM as my next car ..... Corvette ftw).

Edited by Leveller

Oh, I wasn't saying the solstice was a whole lot better or anything, just trying to point out that they're finally getting their act together at GM...or at least seem to be.

For the record, I'd take a Sky over a Z4 even if I could afford the Z4 if those were the two cars I had to choose from. I just like the Sky better looks wise and interior wise. Performance is close enough that a few inexpensive mods and my Sky'd be faster anyway :-)

I like Z4's, but the Sky looks AWESOME

But yeah, my '06 Grand Prix GXP has better quality ratings (on JD Power) than my Dad's Accord, so that's impressive too. The G6's are doing well in consumer reports...I'm afraid I still hear some bad things 'bout Chevy's still, but....Corvettes are some of the most impressive sports cars on the market right now.

Half the cost of a Viper, and a ZO6 will take down the Viper on a test track (straight line the Viper wins by about a tenth of a second)