Mastering

dragonfly

So I've been working/playing with Adobe Audition for a couple years now, and I'm getting pretty decent with the program. I got a second EMG put into my electric (a squier, now has an 81 and an 85), and have been doing some recording.

-Squier, 2 emg's

-Line6 Spider II (2x12)

-Behringer B2 Pro

-Behringer Eurorak (12 input)

-X-Fi Platinum

-Boss DR770 for drums

-BC Rich Beast (bass)

That's the stuff I've been using for recording, but the thing I really suck at is mastering. Can anyone give any tips/point me in the direction of a nice little read that's not TOO technical? Thx!

Laz, if you read this, I'm still waiting to hear your stuff...

Edited by DarkArchon

I'm here. Kinda. Man, it's been forever.

Gimme a little bit, and I'll see what I can dig up. First on EQing, and then on mastering.

EQing is something that you really need to read about, and get used to, because it makes way more difference than most people give it credit for.

Mastering - well, really, that's all personal preference. Listen to some of your favourite bands, and then listen to some genres that you wouldn't go anywhere near, and see what the similarities and differences are between the levels of individual tracks, and compressors/effects used on them.

K that'd be awesome.

As far as different sounds, it's black/death metal. The guitars are loud, compressed to death, same with drums. Kick is going super fast so it's gotta be tight and heavy, same with snare. I fooled around with eq'ing today for an hour, and I've got the guitars ALMOST where i want them. It's tough to get a good sound, and hear every pic stroke too.

Truth is, if it's even remotely technical, and the separate notes matter, you need to ditch the common concept of most metal guitarists, which is: Crank the gain, drop the mids, max the bass and treble, and use your bridge pickup.

...actually, generally speaking, you want to do pretty much the opposite.

I'll see if I can find a guide or two tomorrow. When I go off to jam, I'll ask my bassist if he's still got the EQ band list/explanation he was using when he went on his EQ kick, or at least where he got it from.

(edited)

I actually thought that that may be the case, but wasnt sure. I recorded it with more mid than i wanted, though with just the bridge pickup (pick-squeals are tough without it on ;) )

Though, re-recording is definitely an option. Any help would be great, so thanks!

Edit: it's somewhat technical. It's melodic black metal, so it's not like dragonforce, but there's still several notes going on, as well as each pic swipe i'd like to hear.

Edited by DarkArchon

Record everything as flat as possible. That's really the only thing I can tell you, after that it's all personal preference. Don't be surprised when you realize that to master a track (not to mention an album) you need professional mastering gear (and lots of experience helps too...be prepared for frustration)