getting alittle more distance

Magruter

What kind of distance are we talking? 100? 150?

Make sure the antenna is free from as many obstructions as possible.

When you sit down at the computer make sure you are not between the antenna and the router.

The cheap fix ( and I mean CHEAP fix) is to print out some signal reflectors and cover them with foil. You can find patterns on the internet for them. It works OK ( great for free :D ) my brother in law tried them with noticeable gains.

:peace:

To be honest it's not that far, I think my wife's wireless card is just weak. It's a cheaper laptop, $399 acer. It's only goes maybe 30 ft. My laptop, doesn't have a problem while sitting 2 feet from hers. Could it be a driver problem?

hmm... i have a 400 or 500 dollar acer and I can take my half way down the block and it still works with my wireless...

I would actually patch the firmware on your wireless router and maybe reset it and set it all back up again...

I know if you have a linksys version 5 of the wrt model then there is a firmware patch that dealt with signal strength.

Also: this could be a driver problem... if you have an intel wireless inside the laptop... I can't remember what acer uses in mine... but if it is... remove the intel proset and just install the driver... let XP manage the wireless networks... the projet software has "issues" on laptops for some reason...

How close are the two computers? Both Laptops or is yours a desktop?

The wireless transmitters I work with, which are 2.4 GHz, can cause interferance if placed too close together. The signal from one transmitter "saturates" the other transmitter, but were talking in the 100 milli-Watt range, we have smaller devices 4~5 milli-Watt devices which can sit right next to each other with no problems.

Just a thought.

two words

Pringles can

you think Im joking, but a pringles can is the perfect shape for an antenna. Hook that baby up to your access point and you will pick up peoples signal, from the next state over