I need your help

I was witnessing on the IM last night to a girl who thinks she is a Christian but does not live like one. She is confused on why bad things happen to good people. And why "God lets it happen". I tried helping her the best I could but I forgot all of the verses I have learned over the years.

I told her to read the book of Job. She said that she doesn't understand the bible. So I said that I would buy her a simplified version of the book of Job. Do you guys know of any good versions of the book Job where somebody that usually doesn't read the bible can just pick it up and go with it?

OH POOP. Church starts in 15 minutes and it takes 20 to get there. Pray for me and her. Me, so I can witness to her better. Her, so she can see why everything is in Gods plan.

PM me if you want the IM conversation. So you can give me any suggestions. I would really like to get the feedback of counselors in here. I know there are a couple in here.

Wish me luck, I am going to talk to her grandma at my church. Her grandma brought her to Christ a couple years ago.

I had a guy at work (summer job, i'm only 22) ask me that same question in the context of one of his friends suffering pretty bad. I told him a few things (here's a paraphrase):

1 - I dont understand all of God's plans cause He's very different than me and my limitted thinking.

2 - No one is good. (this is good for witnessing, because if someone cant admit this then they cannot be a Christian. Just has to be said the right way, ie lovingly, at the right time)

3 - We, in our suffering, are actually very blessed because we deserve much worse (hell). If it was not for suffering then we'd still be destined to Hell. Jesus suffered and took our place. God killed His own Son for us, the only one who didnt deserve it at all, so that we dont have to suffer for etenity.

These are really heavy things though, and I'd recommend speaking in person. Tone is definitely lost in posts. Suffering is probably the hardest topic, I'll pray when I think of this man. Remember - God has to change people's hearts, we can't do it. We have to be faithful to defend and declare the gospel with love, which is exactly what you're doing.

I'm not a counselor or anything like that. I'm just another dude like you, reading my bible, striving to remain in Christ, and share what I have with the world when I get the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto.

Bad things happen to good people as a result of sin in the world. Tornadoes and such.

I lost 2 roomates while overseas. One was the best Christian I have ever personaly met. So good I was personally jealous of the relationship he had with God. The only way I could Rationalize his death was. Who am I to question the Guy that is responsible for everything. I cant even remember to feed the dog some days. SO he must know better than I weather or not is someones time. And I am sure he has good reason and I can not begin to rationalize what that reason is.

I walk a Christian life. I am not perfect. I stopped however a long time ago being so hard on myself when I make mistakes. Some times its easy as a Christian to try so hard to follow the Words teachings that you forget how to live life a lil.

www.RememberHersh.com

Here is the website his brother and friends put up of him. I am glad to have called him friend. I am blessed to have called him brother.

Edited by Tyranus