its 4am here and I can't sleep

NOFX

Awesome pics!!

What sort of coding are you into?!?!

How did you land a job like that one?

I write code in C++.. Never really programmed for fun, except when I was learning if statements and functions in school, I would modify code to do things I wanted to do.

How did I land this job?

5 years of school at a University. Bachelors in Computer Science. Printed out about 80 resumes. Drove to a city 6 hours away, rode around for two days in tie passing out resumes to computer companies I found online. And I would stop at any building/company that looked like they had an IT department. Acted like I had nothing to lose in the interview(Peter Gibbons). Told them my story and luck just happend to be on my side.

The interview was for a System Administrator position. Which is what I wanted to do. The position was for our Companys IT department and also setting up system for certain projects. The IT guy wanted me, but the project knew I didn't already have the skills to perform the job at hand. Half way through the interview they got together and decided I wasn't fit for the job, so the last person asked me programming questions. I told them I wanted to do system administration and I thought I was better at that than programming, but I also said I knew how to program and can easily learn a new language. I had never compiled on C++ program before I was hired. I learned Java...

Get started on the job hunting early. I was out of school for a few months before I decided to do something crazy like I did... and it worked. I will honestly say that 95% of what got my foot in the door was my motivation and my attitude. Especially in the computer field, you will realize you didn't know anything until you get into the real world.. Your employers know this, so don't try to make them think you know alot, they aren't looking for that. They will purposely ask you questions, knowing you don't know the answer and judge how you respond..... let them know your an easy going, motivated person who looks very trainable.

Wow, thanks a lot!!

Right now, I am in the CIS club, there are monthly meetings with speakers from the area talking about jobs that are here and coming into the area. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA. The area is in a a lull, but growing. I submit my resume for hope of snagging an internship from one of the big companies around here b/c they tend to hire their internships, and pay them nicely. I am currently learning Java and will be doing C++ in the fall semester. I too want to be a System Admin or Network Engineer and realize that I prob. have to do some coding and work my way up the ladder. Thanks for the tips for interviewing!