Newb to fitness!

Tracid

Is there a starting regiment you guys can recommend to me? I might have to start off weak since last time I do anything remotely fitness was PE in high school. Also I am looking to add a little buffing to my body, don't have weights or anything so any suggestion on what I can MacGuyver from household products?

Stats:

215 lbs (last I checked)

5'10 - 5'11

Flat foot

I'd look in to pre-entry fitness programs for such organizations as the USMC. The USMC has a program that is freely available and includes running, pushups, sit-ups and bend-and-thrusts, which will give you a good all-round workout with a minimal number of exercises and no equipment investment besides your running shoes. It's a bit aggressive if you aren't currently in shape, but you can always work up to it. Don't be afraid to walk when going out for a run, either.

Also, there are plenty of exercises available that don't use equipment (a personal favorite is the 8-count bodybuilders). There was a book, something like the Navy SEAL's physical fitness guide, that I have repeatedly seen at Barnes and Nobles on the discount rack in the past for something like $7-$8. The back of it has a bunch of calisthenics and strengthening exercises, most of which can be done without equipment. If it's good enough for the SEALs, who often have to keep on top of things in really cramped quarters, it's more than good enough for a civvie who just wants to get in shape and have some tone.

This may sound hardcore, but the beauty of it is you can dial the intensity down as much as you need to. I picked these examples just because they had goals, and setting goals is probably equally as important as a good exercise regimen. A bad regimen could get you hurt, a lack of goals will surely find you on the couch quickly. The FBI has a pretty cool scoring system for new agents: I might pick a target score and want to hit it in, say, six months.

Best of luck!

Edited by appalachian_fox

i understand where your at. PT workout is probably the best (fox's reply). your best investment you can make is a starter 300 lb bench bar with plates and a bench that will let you do bench press, incline, decline and regular with a 90 degree for military press. Make sure the weights are with clips. I bought a starter with weights you have to screw on and its a total pain in the @$$. I dont know if Dicks is national but they have a bench bar with weights for 99 bucks on sale or 120. you can get a decent bench for 100 bucks or maybe a little more. so if you can throw about 200-250 bucks together you can get started with a free weight workout.

Ich's got a good point with the weights, so if there's some money to invest that would be a good basic buy allowing you to do a wide variety of resistance training. Something I might suggest, though, is to hold off a bit to see if you really stick with a training program. If you're by yourself, not going to a gym, not running with people, etc., motivation will probably be your biggest enemy. Also, since you're starting off slow, this will give you a chance to get used to exercising, stretching*, and how your body responds to exercise. That's a big plus, since you don't seem to indicate much familiarity with exercise. As with any other exercise, if you go this route (I'd suggest it, if it's an option) make sure you know how to perform the routines properly to avoid injury.

Another option is to look in the want ads. You never know what you will find, and weight sets are uncommon. You may (probably will) walk in to weight sets with screws or other odd fastening devices, which can be a pain, so buyer beware, but it's a good way to save some bank, especially if the weights are a standard size -- Then you can just replace the bar / fastening devices.

It occurred to me that you mentioned being flat-footed as well. I suppose this means you don't like to run. I don't blame you, but you should throw a good aerobic workout into the mix as well. Check online for ideas of where your heart rate should be based on age and desired result (weight loss, etc.). Running works well, but also consider anything you have around - ride a bike, calisthenics (jumping jacks and those bend-and-thrusts are great) and boxing are all great and keep you moving. Don't forget footwork, though again, being flatfooted might make that more trouble than it's worth. Also, look around for other activities. Near me, for example, there's a place that lets you rent a kayak to go down a local river. Paddling upstream is a great exercise, no running involved. Variety is great, because it works muscles differently and it keeps motivation up. Plus, who wants to go for a boring run when they can go over a waterfall and claim it as exercise?

Good luck, and remember, motivation.

* Always stretch. I don't think I even mentioned that earlier. Very important to stretch before and after, especially if you're just starting out, to avoid injury. Nothing kills motivation like overworking a joint and having a sore whatever for a few days, plus it puts you at a bigger risk for injury.