Suicide

I just found out today that one of the high school volleyball players that I coached last year committed suicide. His name was Darren, and he was a homosexual - not that that defined him, but I think it comes with its own view of the world, and probably indicates how he may have been treated.

Anyway, I had a soft-spot for this guy, tried hard to include him more on the team, give him a special spot. I encouraged him as much as I could, and to be honest he was definitely our best setter. I was at my University's bookstore last week looking for a textbook and I saw him there. I thought, "I should go say hi," even though the bookstore was busy and he was on the other side of a crowd of people. I decided not to, since he probably has lots of friends at the university (he was a good looking guy, looked European) and he probably is just like me - buy books and get out of the crowds.

I really wish I had talked to him. Even just say hi and let him know that he was loved and I was interested in his life. It really sucks. Makes me think about all the other times in my life when I ignored a thought like that to talk to someone, or include someone, or go sit by the person who was by themself. Not all of these people will commit suicide, but that's really not the point. I only get 1 chance for every second I'm given, and I want to give that second to God so that He can use me for His plan, not for my own busy schedule.

So when you guys pray, can you pray for this guy's family? He was probably about 18 or so. Thanks.

You really shouldn't feel bad about the bookstore thing. Situations happen like that every day. You even said you're the type to just buy what you came for then roll out. I'm the same way.

Why not just look at it like what you did for him on the volleyball team was one of the nicest gestures he probably had in his life?

Sometimes it comes out of the blue doesn't it? You never know, you never expect. It is sad, and I feel for you. I wonder how his family is doing?...Do you know them?

I've had former students commit suicide, get murdered, die in accidents...

You always wonder "what was the last thing anybody said to them...? who was the last person to see them...? was it me?"

Well, keep in mind, it usually is not one thing or another that causes suicidal behavior, but years of self-doubt/sadness/helplessness/pain.

Last week, my cousin shot himself in the head...he had survived cancer twice, and now he was facing more surgery and he just couldn't go on.

Like it's been said, life is a succession of moments...moment after moment and our hearts dwell in between those, where no one sees.

I wish you well.

Edited by Tek-Almighty