Socket 478 Mobo

Leveller

Hi, after my new build I passed my old PC down to my wife who rarely plays games and wanted to pass her pc down to my eldest daughter.

Anyway, got my wife's pc up and running beautifully and went to get my daughter's pc up and running well, it looks like the AGP slot on the P4S8X is dieing.

I've tried 3 different graphics cards (FX 5950, 6800 GT and a 7800 GS (I think)) in the slot and they are all putting out similar performance. Now my wife was having some issues previously with Flash animations occasionally causing the PC to reboot and I assumed it was a bad graphics card or the old (5 year old) psu dieing. It now looks like it could have been the AGP slot.

I'm only running the online PCPitstop tests on the machine, and each graphics card was putting out a hideously low score, but they were all around the same figure despite the differences in the cards.

I know that it may be another issue and any suggestions are welcome, but if it's the AGP slot I'd prefer to buy a new mobo than do some kind of new build for a 9 year old who really will only use it for the internet, homework and occasionally playing some child friendly adventure games.

I've done a search on Newegg and it seems to come up with 3-5 mobo's that support Socket 478 (it's a 3.06 GHZ P4 I believe cpu I believe) and have AGP, but they all look to be "micro-atx".

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Lev.

Well with a little bit of hard searching I managed to find a boxed P4S8X for sale on the interweb for $55, so problem solved (fingers crossed).

Now here's the next question, if I'm switching out 1 mobo for an identical mobo, will I need to do a complete reinstall of XP or should it be a straight switching of parts?

Well with a little bit of hard searching I managed to find a boxed P4S8X for sale on the interweb for $55, so problem solved (fingers crossed).

Now here's the next question, if I'm switching out 1 mobo for an identical mobo, will I need to do a complete reinstall of XP or should it be a straight switching of parts?

Pretty much going to have to. Otherwise there's probably going to be instability in it.