Card found!

Tisel

(edited)

So, maybe 45 minutes or so after I posted about building a new PC.. I hardcore looked into cards. I've looked for weeks, and weeks.. And finally I come across this.

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/custo...8&source=fr

It's the GeForce 6200 512 card. Problem is, it's Half-Height. Now, I've looked all over for a comparison on LP and HH.. I've found no one that has said there's a difference. The Memory Clock isn't terrible, and the clock speed isn't that bad for what I actually play. I'm not looking to play anything hardcore, I'm not a big fan of the newer games. I just want something that can play CSS and things like that.. Without problems. So, I was wondering.. Will a HH card fit an LP slot? Can an LP bracket be fitted to it? If so, this one will actually work fine for me I believe. Then, I probably won't have to worry about building something until I can put together the machine I want.

Anyways, input on the card would be nice. It's an XFX card.

Edit: Sorry about the double about the same topic. I noticed after I posted that I made a new topic (Bad Habit).

Edited by Tisel

(edited)

Umm... I had a 6200 and it wasnt very good. I only played UT2004 on it, and I'd get ~15-30fps @ 800x600 with everything on medium. For like $20 more you could get a MUCH better card, heck, even an 8500 would be better I'd say.

As far as the half height thing, you basically have the exact same card as a normal one, except it takes up a little bit less space in your case (the height off the mobo is slightly less) but the bracket sizes and everything else is identical to your normal pci-e cards.

If you're SUPER tight on cash, like SUPER tight, then maybe something more like this: 8600GT - $99.99CAD (you can find it on newegg I'm sure for probably slightly less)

OR

HIS X1650 - 79.99 if you prefer ATI.

Neither of the above are SUPER great for gaming, but they'll beat a 6200 without a doubt. The 8600 is much better than the x1650 as well, but it's slightly more.

Edited by DarkArchon

(edited)
Umm... I had a 6200 and it wasnt very good. I only played UT2004 on it, and I'd get ~15-30fps @ 800x600 with everything on medium. For like $20 more you could get a MUCH better card, heck, even an 8500 would be better I'd say.

As far as the half height thing, you basically have the exact same card as a normal one, except it takes up a little bit less space in your case (the height off the mobo is slightly less) but the bracket sizes and everything else is identical to your normal pci-e cards.

If you're SUPER tight on cash, like SUPER tight, then maybe something more like this: 8600GT - $99.99CAD (you can find it on newegg I'm sure for probably slightly less)

OR

HIS X1650 - 79.99 if you prefer ATI.

Neither of the above are SUPER great for gaming, but they'll beat a 6200 without a doubt. The 8600 is much better than the x1650 as well, but it's slightly more.

Well, I need something that fits a pci low profile slot. Not PCI-E, just PCI. It's an old computer. I really don't see any need to upgrade, honestly. All I run is CSS. I'm about to get a 360 for the other FPS games I want to play. The PC is fine, I'm just limited on card options. Also, when I looked into a "Half-Height", everything always said it was the same as Low Profile. The card even looks like it would fit into my case. All I really need to be able to do with it is, afix an LP bracket to. Which I have. I'm just not sure that it's possible.

Edited by Tisel

Oh, I see. So you're running CSS alright as is? Not really sure how much extra you'll get fps wise by buying a 6200, but then again I dont know what you have right now either.

You can also get a new atx case for ~$25 if you look for one, which will let you buy whatever card you want. It wont be SUPER pretty, but it's definitely going to give you more room. Though, if I'm reading you correctly, you need a pci card to display your gfx, not a pci-e? Not even an agp? I dont know much about that if that's the case, sorry :(

Enjoy your 360 when you get it!

Oh, I see. So you're running CSS alright as is? Not really sure how much extra you'll get fps wise by buying a 6200, but then again I dont know what you have right now either.

You can also get a new atx case for ~$25 if you look for one, which will let you buy whatever card you want. It wont be SUPER pretty, but it's definitely going to give you more room. Though, if I'm reading you correctly, you need a pci card to display your gfx, not a pci-e? Not even an agp? I dont know much about that if that's the case, sorry :(

Enjoy your 360 when you get it!

I do have a single AGP slot. I actually forgot about that slot. Mostly because I stopped looking for AGP low profile. I've never really though about just buying a new case. Wouldn't be a bad idea, honestly. I still have the problem of finding a decent card, though I believe. As for running CSS. I don't exactly run it fine, hehe. I mean, I have playable FPS right now. Which is why I'm looking for something more. I want to have more than just playable. The only computer does limit me on what I can do, but I don't really have the funds to build something too terribly good. The cheapest build I've been shown so far, was 803 bucks. Which is doable, just not right away. Thank to Preacher for that one, by the way.

Ah, I see. Check in the Hardware forums for a thread called "DNA's cheap build" or something like that. You can potentially build a machine to run CSS real nice for under $400 (more like $300 I think). You could also transfer some of your old stuff, like HDD, to a new pc, right?

Mobo - $100

RAM - 2GB - $30

CPU - $65

Case - $25

PSU - $50

TOTAL: $270

You'd already have a harddrive (or buy a new one for $50), and that's all you need. Add a little bit of tax on there, and shipping, minus some rebates and you're looking at ~$300.

OR, if you have a good PSU, just keep the one you have and it's even cheaper. What sort of budget are you looking at?

Ah, I see. Check in the Hardware forums for a thread called "DNA's cheap build" or something like that. You can potentially build a machine to run CSS real nice for under $400 (more like $300 I think). You could also transfer some of your old stuff, like HDD, to a new pc, right?

Mobo - $100

RAM - 2GB - $30

CPU - $65

Case - $25

PSU - $50

TOTAL: $270

You'd already have a harddrive (or buy a new one for $50), and that's all you need. Add a little bit of tax on there, and shipping, minus some rebates and you're looking at ~$300.

OR, if you have a good PSU, just keep the one you have and it's even cheaper. What sort of budget are you looking at?

Pretty low. 800 wouldn't be horrid, but as I said before.. It wouldn't be anytime soon. Somewhere between 300-500 is probably more realistic within the next few months.