Pendulum - In Silico

Tristan

Pendulum is an Australian Drum and Bass band that has hit it big in the UK.

11t30ac.jpg

The new album has the band's sound going in a new, more "rock" style, direction.

Listen to their first single "Granite" off of the new album.

[utube]DQA1d0QQvf8[/utube]

Pendulum's first studio album, Hold Your Colour.

B0009Y33BK.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Fasten Your Seatbelts" from Hold Your Colour.

[utube]UINhE8L1yXg[/utube]

Probably the best D&B group to date, it's just such a shame D&B is on the verge of death. Sometimes the only reason I think it's still alive is because of Pendulum. Most of the best D&B producers (Aquasky, Ed Solo and some others) have moved into the electro/breaks genre, not that I'm complaining as I completely agree with the move (especially since I switched from spinning d&b/jumpup to electro/breaks myself)

If you like that super high production D&B I suggest checking out DJ Fresh of Bad Company fame and Adam F who needs no introduction.

Submarines = best song

feel free to laugh for not being aware of these guys before, but thanks for sharing. /me likes!

in a shameless plug, i'm uploading a full length album from "soap and foam." they've given me a copy to distribute under CC3 (ie, it's legal). it's uploading now, but should be available for a download in about 20 minutes (12:30p cdt).

There are many that have influenced me over the years, Amon Tobin, Shadow, Krush, Massive Attack/Tricky/Portishead, Bonobo, four tet anyone in ninja tune sounds good. Mo' wax knows whats up, so does Warp Records. Richard D. James, Brian Eno, and so many others that I feel its unnecessary to name them all. Music is not to be listened to...we need to let it wash over us like a gentle wave.

if either of you care to download it and give a short review, that'd be great.

Music is not to be listened to...we need to let it wash over us like a gentle wave.

Honestly, those waves put me to sleep.

Really good production value, everything seams crisp and clean. The drum work is very tight and the few basslines are well compressed and don't overweight the rest of the instruments while at the same time maintaining good presence.

Musically speaking, I feel like every track is only partially completed, as if there is a musical theme locked into every track but the melodies are left out. This might have been the idea though. It is really good for background music as there is nothing that really engages the brain in any of these tracks, nothing that would distract someone from say a book or a conversation. On that note, I could easily see this doing well selling from Starbucks or similar type of outlet.

I like all the influences they list but I feel it is hard to find those influences pervaded in the tracks. There is an edge missing, and it seems to stem back to the melodies, they really drive a piece of music and these tracks leave little to be desired. They have the drum breaks down pat, they just need to avoid the light jazz/ambient harmonies unless that was the goal.