Dark Age of Camelot

chuckleslove

I know of seen some people mention it and I just wanted to make a post here :P That was the game that kept me away from CS and I still play it from time to time. You can see how badarse my chars are :P I have 2 other 50s but one I sold and the other I just dont have a screenshot of it yet ;) But here are my two badarse main characters :)

HalldrikHalldis.jpg

Guest Ex-Archaic nonMCC number owning
Guests

biggest reason i quit that game was lvling = zzzzzzzzzzz and its freaking 11 bucks a month or something rediculous. I could see 5 dollars maybe, but paying for a game is pointless unless the game is mind blowing and i didnt think DAoC was that great. Fun at times and fun making new friends but definatly not worth it.

also the engine it ran on was unstable i think and i had problems with it.

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

Pay for the game or pay to play - one or the other. I don't see it right to pay 50 bucks for a game, then 10 bucks a month. Then you basically need to buy any expansion pack that they toss out to the market. :(

TaPe,Mar 28 2003, 06:16 PM]Pay for the game or pay to play - one or the other.  I don't see it right to pay 50 bucks for a game, then 10 bucks a month.  Then you basically need to buy any expansion pack that they toss out to the market.  :(

This comes from a guy who has been playing a free mod of a 5 year old game :)

I agree, Tape. I hate the idea of pay to play. But it is a HUGE boost for company profits.

But if a game was truly awesome in every way.... I might consider that arrangement.

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests

I heard Capcom of all companies is releasing a free net game that you pay to play. Just a rumor though...

TaPe,Mar 28 2003, 05:16 PM]Pay for the game or pay to play - one or the other.  I don't see it right to pay 50 bucks for a game, then 10 bucks a month.  Then you basically need to buy any expansion pack that they toss out to the market.  :(

Dark Age was $30 not $50 and now its down to $20. When you buy it, it comes with 1 free month which is $13 value. So basically if you went to the store you would be paying $7 for the game. That covers the CD and shipping basically.

You have to consider WHY they charge you to play. Its not like they are making the 3 million+ dollar subscription costs in pure profit. Machines that are able to hold 4500 people connected to them are quite beefy machines. You arent goign to run a Dark Age server on the same piece of hardware that a CS server runs on. When you have 20 servers and they all can hold a maximum of 4500 people they need nice hardware and a very nice connection to the internet. Those things cost lots of money. Then you also keep in mind that the staff is constantly upgrading the game. CS patches come what once every 6 months if we are lucky? Dark Age patches come on average every 1-3 weeks. They have a constant team upgrading and adding content so you get a lot for your money. the way I look at it is that an average one player game will take me 1-2 weeks to beat. So if I constantly want to play something new I need to buy 2 games a month which is ~$100. With Dark Age for a year I spent $13/month and I only bought about 5 other games the whole year.

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

I understand why they charge. I played EverQuest once upon a time. It wasn't worth the money to me. It was great that they updated it all the time, fixed glitches, added new things, etc etc etc - but they always started releasing expansion packs. A new continent here or there... that you have to pay the 30 bucks just to play there. Why pay to go play there? Because that's the only way you can get certain items or spells. At some levels, you basically need expansion packs just to find a place where you can get experience flowing. I realized I was paying out money that I could have used to buy new games that would hold my attention longer than the repetitiveness of EverQuest. CS > EQ ... and it's much cheaper too. My opinion though, nothing more.

Yes CS > EQ but lots of games are better than EQ. For me EQ doesnt even come close to Dark Age because EQ is all level for the sake of leveling and getting better equipment and phat loot. Dark Age has the PvP aspect and it isnt so much an unrestricted PvP so that you dont get ganked by the lame people who are much higher level than you. I thought it was a great balance. I only posted this because I was going through some old screenshots and found this one :P And I knew a few people had mentioned Dark Age either that they had played it or wanted to try it someday.

Hey chuckles what server you play on? ...

I agree with what was said earlier I found the lvling in this game boring at times. But get a great group and it can be really fun.

Now what really shines in this game is the RVR, or Player vs Player as most non DAOC players would know it as is truely the best I have ever seen in any game that I have played..

anyway this is the game keeping me from cs atm :blink:

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests
Dark Age has the PvP aspect and it isnt so much an unrestricted PvP so that you dont get ganked by the lame people who are much higher level than you.

Explain? I'm not really familiar with the game.

Oh, and it's phat lewt by the way ;):lol::lol: