The Happening

discom

(edited)

2 out of 4 stars

The movie starts out with a lot of potential. The first half seems to flow well, but it is the second half of the movie that starts to drag. The dialog becomes weird and pointless as well. The "twist" or explanation of what is going on is also nothing thoughtful. It's indirectly revealed early on in the movie, which takes away from the mystery or suspense that should be there. By the time the explanation is confirmed at the end of the movie, it's simply dumbed down for the audience members who were not paying attention. Plot holes and inconsistencies are frequent to keep the main characters alive. In the end the film is not bad, but not great. Be sure to go into this movie with low expectations, or else it will disappoint.

Examples of bad dialog:

old lady who invites our heroes to sleep over in her house: "I heard you two whispering. You plan on killing me in bed don't you?"

Wahlberg : "would you stop asking me questions! I'm trying to think!"

Wahlberg to Zooey after about a day of running around these events: "Close the windows and doors!" Zooey: "Why!?"

Edited by YoMamma