Official Camera Lens Discussion Thread

Unclean

I've been chatting with NOFX for awhile on different lenses, since he's in the market for one. It was all in PM's though, so we wanted to bring it here and open it up to anyone else that has questions/opinions on camera lenses.

One question that came up is "what's your dream lineup for lenses?" And then a followup question is "how do you get there"? Do you go with intermediate lenses, or just wait and get the best when you can?

So if you have any questions about lenses, ask away! Some of us have probably been where you're at, and we're all learning. Don't be afraid to ask anything! :)

(edited)

I think the best lens for me is the Canon 17-55 and the Ultra Wide 10-20 I have. That's all I need. I don't like carrying more than the camera really...

So now is the question to whether or not I go ahead and buy the canon or do I get the Tamron with IS or a USM motor for half the price? I can always sell it later and get the canon if Im not happy.

popphoto has a really good subjective quality chart for determining sharpness of lens's.

Canon 17-55

Tamron 17-50

The Tamron appears sharper, but You lose IS and the USM motor. IS would be beneficial in low light. You really want to see a sharp lens, accroding to popphoto take a look at the Tamron 28-75

Edited by NOFX

I have the 17-55 f/2.8 IS, and it's a phenomenal lense. They're not cheap, though! You can pick them up used for $850-$900, or buy new for $950-1000.

USM is just Canon's motor, and to me it just means "quieter". :) IS is another story... it's basically like 3 f/stops less, so you don't have to bump up the ISO for low light shots.

In the link you provided, it said the 17-55:

But it couldn't be labeled "L" because it won't work on all EOS bodies.

That's not entirely accurate... it only works on EF-S mount cameras, but the other big reason why it's not an L is because it's not weathersealed.

So for your dilemma, I think it's ultimately your call... I'd personally recommend going with the Tammy first, and if it still doesn't meet your needs, upgrade to the 17-55.

(edited)

Thats what I think Im going to do. I just found one at sigma4less.com They offer the "imported" version for $350+20 shipping. I didn't know it was imported when I ordered. Did a little more research and it's basically the same camera with no warranty. I highly doubt I would have problems with one, but I got scared and canceled the order. Now I'm just looking for a place to order a USA Tamron.

Also a good lens if you only bought the body and want the new kit lens on the Xsi is Canon 18-55 IS $122 Same as your 18-55 kit lens, but you've got IS on this. I've ordered from there before. That one day deal has been going on for a month or so, not sure when it will end.

Edited by NOFX

(edited)

Ok, I pulled the trigger on a Tamron 17-50. Accidentally bought a grey market from sigma4less. Started reading reviews from their site. And they look pretty bad. One guy even said that when he ordered the USA version for $50 more, they still sent him the imported version. I called and canceled. I still have my doubts after reading more reviews.. I called again to confirm. She said she would send me an email and I never got the email. Let's hope I don't end up with an extra lens. I say the chances are that the imported version is perfect, but just in case it isn't. I'll spend and extra $30 for a 6 year warranty.

I also picked up a 67 filter with this purchase and earlier this week I picked up a 77mm filter for my 10-20 and rc-1 remote.

Thats it! I'm done buying gear, is getting expensive. If anything, I'll upgrade to the canon 17-55 sometime later.

Edited by NOFX

(edited)

2797844341_79be518b91_b.jpg

Tamron 50mm@6.3. The len's is very nice and very sharp. The 2.8's pictures didn't turn out as sharp. The wind picked up so Im not sure whether it was the winds fault or its the lens. Only downside is that it is a little loud...

check out the full size Here and look how sharp it is.. Im impressed.

Edited by KNOWFX

f/2.8 has a very shallow depth of focus, so only a sliver of the picture may be in focus.

For example, here's a shot I took this weekend of an ant at f/2.8:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/279331..._a157cc2d52.jpg

Plus with close-up flower photography, a slight wind turns into a windstorm. :) So all things considered, that's a VERY nice shot you posted. I think you'll be really happy with that lens.