Automatically Install Hardware

Fatty

Strange....ever since something....well, since my last reinstall of windows and all the updates...my computer won't just plug and play hardware...it's always gotta do the "do you want to search for drivers or what" and then I get the "this jazz doesn't pass whatever test" and I don't stop the installation, etc....

It won't remember simple things like a mouse that I had in before....etc....just a pain in the butt.

Any ideas?

It adds them fine, but I just have to click for a minute which is bothering me...

Is this a problem for every time you boot up or only after the reinstall. If it is only after the reinstall and you are adding new hardware, then that may be normal. Make sure you run Windows Update several times; you may have the old install CD of XP and may only have SP1 or less. XP is now at SP3 and this could be a part of the problem if there is a real problem.

GC Founder

No, not on every boot. I guess I wasn't clear on that...it's not all hardware, just things I plug in generally....like a USB mouse, or flash drives, etc....

It finds little things that I don't even recognize...I'll take some screenshots next time.

No, not on every boot. I guess I wasn't clear on that...it's not all hardware, just things I plug in generally....like a USB mouse, or flash drives, etc....

It finds little things that I don't even recognize...I'll take some screenshots next time.

That has always been a normal thing for me. It depends on the item. If I plug in a different mouse for the first time, it has to go through the process of finding the drivers. The next time I plug it in later, it just works after a second or two. The same for new USB flash drives. There isn't anything abnormal about it really.