Steam/SteamApps Problems

General J

So, I have been using my Asus G50V A1 laptop for a little while now and I generally like it. I have been using it as my primary computer, so gaming is one of its duties. I was playing CS:S with no problems, and I had downloaded a few demos, Crysis and COD 4, to see what it could handle. I also got Far Cry 64 to work as well. Everything runs smoothly.

So, then I found Zombie Panic and started playing. The laptop now has what I call "fits" in the middle of the game. It acts like really bad lag, but I have watched my ping through the scoreboard and through netgraph and it does not fluctuate. Everything becomes very jumpy for a very short time, then returns to normal. The laptop has a display that shows CPU load, and it doesn't fluctuate during the fits either.

I could write the fits off as a quirk of running heavy loads on a laptop, but it is more than powerful enough to handle the games. (Note: this only happens in Zombie Panic and CS:S, that I have noticed.)

The kicker is this: Either during or after these "fits", my console text and text chat (pressing "Y" or "T" type of chat box) language switches to Chinese. Now, not all of the text turns to Chinese since it gives me a translator option of English. But, anything I type out in the console or chat is in Chinese characters. It is easy enough to fix. All I have to do is right click the text line and change the language back to English. But, the annoying thing is that once it has done this once, it will do it randomly through out the game.

Any ideas?

The other issue I am having is the keyboard keeping up with my typing. It misses letters if I type too fast. And no, I am not missing them when I type. It is hard to miss the space bar!

Eh, something is fudged with your comp. It sounds almost as though its a software problem though and not a harddware problem because it doesnt happen any other time than in CS:S and ZP, and your stuff doesn't show fluctuations in processor load or anything. Maybe uninstall and reinstall? Get rid of ZP? Did it start only after u downloaded ZP because i heard that games uses some resources, even though its not that graphic intensive, prolly poorly coded.

It started after I downloaded ZP. I have also heard that it is the most CPU intensive Source based game.

I had thought about uninstalling Steam and all apps and starting over again. That just sounds like a pain. Guess I will give it a try when I get some time.

I really like ZP. But if a fresh install of Steam and CS:S fixes the problem, then I may have to forget about ZP for now.

I guess I had chalked up my problem to some odd compatibility issue with the laptop drivers or some such thing.