wicked ping spikes

Fairweather

i have no idea why but i keep getting massssssive ping spikes about every 35 seconds, i never used to get them so i figured it was from the move back to school and the crap internet i've got at my house there.. it happens on any server i try to play not just ours, i was also getting wicked loss spikes but hooking up to my gf's internet instead of mine fixed that, i also thought it would cure the ping spikes as her internet is about 3 million times better than mine bbut nnnnoooppppeeeee still getting the raging ping

my average ping is about 40 according to net_graph while i'm playing but then it'll shoot up to 100, then 200, then 300, then 400 aanndd 500 where it'll stay for a good 20 seconds before dropping back to normal for a very short time

my rates are good, its good internet (right now).. i cant figure it out, i'm not even that far from the server, but it is making it very very difficult to play and i'm suckin rrreeeaaallll bad these days from it

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

(edited)

i bought an ethernet chord a couple days ago but that didnt do a thing and i always ask if my roomates are downloading but there not, i only share the internet with 2 other ppl... compared to reznet last year where i shared almost the same connection with over 400+ students and last year this never happened

.. and yes it is a secure wireless network, the 5 guys who live upstairs have their own internet and router yada yada so odds are their not hackin into ours.. if they even could i dunno

Edited by Fairweather

i bought an ethernet chord a couple days ago but that didnt do a thing and i always ask if my roomates are downloading but there not,

Maybe they are lying to you or maybe they don't realize they're downloading stuff (i.e., hacked computer or just a forgotten p2p app like DC++).

i only share the internet with 2 other ppl... compared to reznet last year where i shared almost the same connection with over 400+ students and last year this never happened

First, it's "cord". Second, you might have been sharing a connection on Reznet, but the pipe was also greater by an Nth degree most likely.

.. and yes it is a secure wireless network, the 5 guys who live upstairs have their own internet and router yada yada so odds are their not hackin into ours.. if they even could i dunno

You asked them and they said "No"...must be true then. :-D J/K. But seriously, if you haven't secured your wireless, they might be using it without even knowing it. If you have secured it, and you're using WEP instead of WPA, first of all, SHAME ON YOU. Second, WEP is ridiculously easy to crack. There are even applications that you can download where you just hit a button and it will do all the traffic sniffing then key cracking on it's own. WPA is the way to go.

Edited by dwEEziL

You asked them and they said "No"...must be true then. :-D J/K. But seriously, if you haven't secured your wireless, they might be using it without even knowing it. If you have secured it, and you're using WEP instead of WPA, first of all, SHAME ON YOU. Second, WEP is ridiculously easy to crack. There are even applications that you can download where you just hit a button and it will do all the traffic sniffing then key cracking on it's own. WPA is the way to go.

i has password to internetz, i dont even know what WEP or WPA are

you have a password lol, if its WEP, you can d/l a program and in like 5-7 mins somebody is stealing your internets!

to check what you have you need to login to the router most likely 192.168.1.1

WPA2 as far as I know is unbreakable, I say change the key and dont tell your buddies, see if the spikes go away =)

It could also just be a crappy to start with and have a few people on it is not going to help. run a speedtest and see what it runs at www.speedtest.net

if you are spiking a ping that high for 20 seconds or so it sounds like someone is using the conn, if they wer downloading files it would be that way until the download was complete and then slowly go back down. I would think someone is using the conn at the same time causing these spikes.