Need Help!

Windex

Just purchased a decent Midi-Controller board for making some music, only problem is i'm not too sure how to tie all the controls to existing synths and all that fun stuff! Anyone in the community handy with MIDI stuff? I'll love you forever!

Did you buy an actual key board or just a midi controller's board that needs to be wired to keys?

I'm confused. I usually just start my synth programs (or Reason/FL/Cubase) and have at it...most of them auto-detect any midi controller you have attached to your system.

Elaborate!

Yeah problem was FL and Cubase was reading all my keys wrong so anything i'd actually hammer out wouldn't be in key...

It's a M-Audio Axiom 49 Midi-Controller.. Now that I've got Reason things have been MUCH smoother, it's midi mapping features work the best of anything I've seen so far! No longer need the help and I've got most of this midi stuff figured out.

Had a friend come over with some Korg Electribe Synths and we had my keyboard controlling my drum machine (Boss DR-5 - Old/Cheap) outputting to the electribes then going back into recording devices and the result was UNREAL! Once we get some music put together I'll post it up :)

Yeah problem was FL and Cubase was reading all my keys wrong so anything i'd actually hammer out wouldn't be in key...

They generally default to 440hz unless you change them (or aquire them from someone who has altered the defaults before giving them to you *wink*wink*)

Oh well...guess you figured it out.

Cubase with Reason in rewire is the way to go IMO, Reason's sequencer is really basic and has a very distinct swing to it that I don't always like. I still use Reason the most just because it's so simple but it just bothers me sometimes.

They generally default to 440hz unless you change them (or aquire them from someone who has altered the defaults before giving them to you *wink*wink*)

Oh well...guess you figured it out.

Cubase with Reason in rewire is the way to go IMO, Reason's sequencer is really basic and has a very distinct swing to it that I don't always like. I still use Reason the most just because it's so simple but it just bothers me sometimes.

Cubase with reason in rewire? You lost me with that lol I got what i needed to get by figured out, but yes I'm not a fan of reasons sequencer either

So far I've been unable to take real advantage of the redrum machine because i can't figure out how to get all the patterns to play automatically at all.

Soooo.. I'll probably end up building most of my events in fl studio and importing my recorded audio clips from reason..

Just recorded some stuff from my friends Korg Electribe through my TASCAM 144 Interface into FL Studio and the quality was SUPERB sounded like it was coming right through studio monitors from the device itself! Top two songs on http://www.myspace.com/parabiosiseffect (Not my songs, they are my friends)

BTW the Thor Polysonic Synth in Reason is TOO much lol its basically all you'd ever need - a good sequencer..

Cubase with reason in rewire? You lost me with that lol I got what i needed to get by figured out, but yes I'm not a fan of reasons sequencer either

So far I've been unable to take real advantage of the redrum machine because i can't figure out how to get all the patterns to play automatically at all.

Soooo.. I'll probably end up building most of my events in fl studio and importing my recorded audio clips from reason..

Just recorded some stuff from my friends Korg Electribe through my TASCAM 144 Interface into FL Studio and the quality was SUPERB sounded like it was coming right through studio monitors from the device itself! Top two songs on http://www.myspace.com/parabiosiseffect (Not my songs, they are my friends)

BTW the Thor Polysonic Synth in Reason is TOO much lol its basically all you'd ever need - a good sequencer..

You can use Cubase to sequence and run Reason as basically a big synth using rewire. Basically start Cubase, then start reason then go into instruments in Cubase and you should see a Reason tab, click it and enable the master channels (they default to off). Now you can create a new channel in cubase and assign it to any currently open device in reason.

With Redrum, you need to draw the patterns into the sequencer. In the sequencer you should see a drop down box that has A1 in it (for pattern A1), you can use the draw tool to draw a bar of that pattern then change it to A2 to draw the next bar as pattern A2.

Make sense?

You are my new bestest friend mo :)

Does that work in Cubase4 LE I'm at work right now so unfortunately i can't try it.

It should work in every version of Cubase after 3.

I just found out that you can't add sidechains in Cubase 3 but you can in 4, I use 4 at most studios but have 3 at home and honestly I think I've spent over 50 hours searching for the darn sidechains in Cubase 3 only to be told they didn't exist... :bang: It's an infinite learning curve...

very true.. every synth, every program it's all like learning a new instrument or language lol but I'm getting there.. just need to dedicate some more time to learning instead of sitting on the couch with the roomates haha

very true.. every synth, every program it's all like learning a new instrument or language lol but I'm getting there.. just need to dedicate some more time to learning instead of sitting on the couch with the roomates haha

:= jeez I didn't see you standing there...