Our Jam Session 2/15/09

YoMamma

Today myself and 2 of my friends recorded a cover of Blur's Song 2 using my friend's cell phone. Our cover is nowhere near perfect. In fact, today was our first time playing this song together. I don't have a footswitch, so I had to palm mute the verse, which sounds ghetto. Steve didn't know all of the words either.

Yet, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on here who cares to share one. Be as harsh or as kind as necessary, but please just be honest. Keep in mind I take criticism as motivation to improve and take compliments warmly. :smillie_smilling:

I'm on the guitar (on the right)

My friend Steve is singing and playing bass (left)

My friend Anthony is drumming in the backround (Steve is blocking him :biglaugha: )

[utube]coE9ROUCUWA[/utube]

My friend Steve doesn't want this video to be public because he's embarrassed or whatever, so I'll leave it public for a few days for you guys to check out and then probably make it private.

Edited by YoMamma

Sounds/looks like you guys were having a lot of fun! I can't understand the words to this song in the recorded version, so dont' feel bad that I can't in this one either :D

Tip - not sure how good you are with this, but up-picking is an extremely useful tool. Personally, when I see someone ONLY down-stroke it appears that they can't upstroke, meaning keep practising. I know that only down stroking is used for a certain sound, so maybe that's why you're doing it? If not, it's a great thing to work on!

I weally liked your energy though! I thought it was done very well for never having played together. Ever tried it with a metronome? (Aside: do you practice with a metronome?)

I've never used a metronome before. I usually just practice with the mp3 of the real song in the background when I practice at home by myself. I've never had guitar lessons so thanks for the downstroke/upstroke tip. Everything I've learned, I taught myself. I think you're right that it would sound better for this song, but like I said before, the other problem is I can't play a clean verse/heavy chorus without a footswitch, so the verse is really a pain to play now. A palm-muted verse sounds crappy and playing it normally would sound too heavy and too similar to the chorus. But when I finally get my footswitch that's something I'll keep in mind! Do you use an up/downstroke technique for most the songs you play? I rarely use it unless I'm playing clean/reggae sounding songs, but like I said, I've never had lessons.

We don't have an 'official singer' now either, that's why Steve was singing. My girlfriend and her mom both said he sucks at singing but he's better than me. haha

How would you rate him? Keep him on the mic or off the mic?

Guitar sounded find, but your picking could use a bit of work. As dragon suggested, upstroke and downstroke are great you'll get more control as opposed to just picking down and having your arm flail. It will tire you out. Less movement = better. Once you get it all down pat you can do the whole rockstar thing of shredding and what not.

Drummer needs to focus, he's losing the beat.

Couldn't hear the bass but on a cell phone recording that's to be expected.

Otherwise sounds alright for a first time cover! good job man and keep up the good work!

As dragon suggested, upstroke and downstroke are great you'll get more control as opposed to just picking down and having your arm flail. It will tire you out. Less movement = better. Once you get it all down pat you can do the whole rockstar thing of shredding and what not.

Drummer needs to focus, he's losing the beat.

Couldn't hear the bass but on a cell phone recording that's to be expected.

Otherwise sounds alright for a first time cover! good job man and keep up the good work!

Thx for the feedback! I guess now I understand WHY it's better to use an up/down stroke. The only 'heavy rock band' I really use it for is Stone Temple Pilots. I know they use that technique in basically all of their songs. Or when I try to get that "chicka-chicka" sound like in Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit chorus.

I don't think punk/pop rock bands use that technique though? (like Blink 182 for example) Correctly me if I'm wrong.

Sounded sweet. Thought it would be worse quality based on the cell phone tidbit but it turned out alright. I don't know much, but when I'm jamming to Blink I'm using that up/down stroke. Keeps me on track with the song. It's not a BIIIG deal if you only down stroke as well though, just have to be faster in certain situations, in others, its actually easier for me just to down stroke because it feels more natural. Whatever suits you I guess... Sounded good though.

I've never used a metronome before. I usually just practice with the mp3 of the real song in the background when I practice at home by myself. I've never had guitar lessons so thanks for the downstroke/upstroke tip. Everything I've learned, I taught myself. I think you're right that it would sound better for this song, but like I said before, the other problem is I can't play a clean verse/heavy chorus without a footswitch, so the verse is really a pain to play now. A palm-muted verse sounds crappy and playing it normally would sound too heavy and too similar to the chorus. But when I finally get my footswitch that's something I'll keep in mind! Do you use an up/downstroke technique for most the songs you play? I rarely use it unless I'm playing clean/reggae sounding songs, but like I said, I've never had lessons.

We don't have an 'official singer' now either, that's why Steve was singing. My girlfriend and her mom both said he sucks at singing but he's better than me. haha

How would you rate him? Keep him on the mic or off the mic?

Yes, less movement = better generally. I always use down/up, but then again I play metal, so you can't play fast enough with just down for what I do :D

I have taught myself almost everything I know too, so I know where you're coming from. I took electric lessons for one semester 5 years ago, but everything else is just listen and play. Metronomes are great for getting yourself used to a tempo, and sticking to it. If you EVER plan on recording, practise LOTS with a metronome, because you'll be recording with one. If you haven't before, it's tricky to play along with one, so it's always good to play with it. It'll keep you tighter with the drummer to for live stuff. (PS the drummer should practice with one for SURE).

He sounded fine singing, but then again it was a cell phone :wiggle2: and no one else was trying.

One last thingie - scales are your friend. They help your dexterity a LOT, are a great routine to practise up/down strokes, or just up or just down, get a feel for your guitar as a whole, show you patterns like minor/major third harmonies, major/minor keys and the notes used in them, relative minors, and the list goes on. That and if you ever want to play lead, you need to know scales! :D :D :D

Dude, what cell phone do you have -- that is pretty good video!

It's not my cell phone. :( It's Steve's. I'll have to ask him next weekend because he's busy during the week and tends not to pick up the phone. All I know is he just got it last week and I think he said it can take up to 5 megapixel pictures.

Dude, what cell phone do you have -- that is pretty good video!

He used an Ericsson k850

Here's a random youtube video showing off that phone:

[utube]w_Lz8CHzCt8[/utube]

I guess he told me today that he's exchanging that phone for something different because he felt it was too expensive and he wanted something more web-friendly.

Edited by YoMamma