enable ad hoc network

TheGeek

I just got a school computer to use for 4 months but I think the system admin put a block against an ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network.

When I try to tell my wireless card to connect to both ad hoc and open wifi, the setting will not connect. Is there another way to do it? It may be a registry setting, it may not.

I tried using applications that use it but they wont use the feature unless the feature is enabled. Any ideas on how to enable it?

If you want to connect to an open wifi AND an ad hoc, I'm fairly sure you need to have 2 wireless cards.

There is a setting in windows where you can switch between the two. I was able to do so on discom's laptop. But this school laptop will not let me change it to ad hoc only.

Is there any way around this? Like a registry value? Executable?

Oh, I thought you meant you wanted to enable both wifi and ad-hoc at the same time. If you can't just set up a new network connection and set it to ad-hoc, then your school must have installed security measures against this. Bypassing this would be a violation of their Acceptable Use Policy (AUP...they most likely have one, or should). I've never had to bypass any security methods to do this so I probably couldn't help you.

Oh, I thought you meant you wanted to enable both wifi and ad-hoc at the same time. If you can't just set up a new network connection and set it to ad-hoc, then your school must have installed security measures against this. Bypassing this would be a violation of their Acceptable Use Policy (AUP...they most likely have one, or should). I've never had to bypass any security methods to do this so I probably couldn't help you.

What's funny is that I'm a computer networking major, and they disabled a LOT of networking options. I think its time to talk to my IT department.....

Just curious but, why do you want the option to run your NIC in ad-hoc mode? I can see a few valid reasons but not many that aren't already answered with regular wifi.

I can get my 3G connection on my phone to tether with the wifi, turning my Android G1 phone into an internet hot spot.

What I want to do is get internet connection where ever I go. But I cant do that without the ad hoc enabled because it would be a computer-to-computer connection.

What I cant figure out is why they disabled it, what kind of threat does an ad hoc network give? The only thing I can think of is most of them are unsecured.

Oh, so you want to use your phone to get your lappy online. I understand now.

Why would they disable the ad hoc? Cause it could be used to do "man-in-the-middle" attacks. I doubt it would help much though cuz anyone who would do a mitm attack would definitely know how to bypass their security. If I were you, I'd talk to your IT people and see if they can work with you on this.

Oh, so you want to use your phone to get your lappy online. I understand now.

Why would they disable the ad hoc? Cause it could be used to do "man-in-the-middle" attacks. I doubt it would help much though cuz anyone who would do a mitm attack would definitely know how to bypass their security. If I were you, I'd talk to your IT people and see if they can work with you on this.

I'm googling that right now.