How I spent my mid 20's

NOFX

Bringing a townhouse from 1984 to 2009... i don't know why I bought this place. I do not want it, I can't wait to get rid of it. I can't sell it because it's to old, so I just dumped money into it until it's new again. I guess I just like flushing money down the toilet..

new water heater 2006

New roof - 2007

new hardwood laminate flooring in living room - 2007

ceramic tile flooring in kitchen, new counter and new sink - 2008

new outdoor A/C unit 2008

attic ladder installed with partial flooring for additional storage - 2009

The rest of these items are brand new with the stickers on the appliances and they haven't been used..

new ceiling fans in all the bedrooms that previously had no overhead light - 2009

all new energy effecient windows in front of house - 2009

brand new refridgerator and matching stove(being delivered next week)..

new front door and storm door - 2009

new washer and dryer - 2009

new paint job on the trim happening next weekend...

I did all this work myself and problem saved myself half of what I dumped into the place by doing so. My only motivation to do all the crap is so I can sell it.

I'm only asking what I paid for it 3 years ago.. I buy and sell crap all the time on craigslist.. not just petty stuff, but motorcycles and cars.. I'm fairly certain that this will be a deal that someone will jump on quick... Problem is, I'm doing for sale by owner. Else I would have to mark it up another 15k to cover realtor fees and I don't think anyone would be quick to jump on it for that price. So I'm not sure how much exposure it will get. I'm moving all my stuff, except for computer and a blow up mattress to storage in a week or so, so the place will be vacant and move in ready.

I'll post some before and after pictures shortly...

• 2 weeks later...

MLS listed? If not, there are services that will MLS list it for you (for a fee of course). I think it cost me 700 to list mine when I did FSBO. When you list it, you can choose what % of sale you'll give to the buyer's agent. That would encourage realtors to show the house to their clients. I'm not sure what % I put, but I just picked what was the norm at the time. Figure I was still saving the fee for the listing agent which is was higher 7% maybe? IDK ... been too long.

(edited)

yep this weekend, I'm finishing everything up. I just painted all the outside trim white this week. Grout a few missed spots, few paint touch ups, shampoo the carpet.. And pick up the last odds and ends and store in the attic. I've already decided what I'm going to do.

I'm doing FSBO. It's going to cost me about $550 to list on the MLS and the FSBO fee and I'm going to give the selling realtor 2.5%. This should allow me to price it right and walk away with the mortgage paid off. I'm fairly certain it will sell.. The place looks really good inside....

the FSBO and MLS pictures will be taken this weekend. I will post before and after pictures in a day or two.

I soo can't wait to get an apartment again.. give myself one year tops saving every penny I can and get the hell out of this city with zero debt, a few bucks in my pocket and 5 years experience as a software engineer. I miss the freedom of being able to throw all my stuff in the back of my truck and leave..

Would it make you feel any better if I told you I'm looking at $400,000 for a 2-3 bedroom bungalow?

you can buy mine for less than half the price. $172,000. I've been thinking about this for a while now. I came to this city straight out of college and bought this townhome one year after I moved here. If I would have got an apartment and live as frugal as I have the past 1.5 years.. I would have enough money saved up to build a small place or put a double wide down back home and it would be paid for.. That my ultimate goal.. have a place back home paid for.. then I can just rent in the city and when I lose my job or when I want to get away and just not work for a while, I'll just go to my paid for home.

Edited by .fx

• 3 weeks later...