2nd hdd

Sedah

hey guys/gals, i jus purchased a 2nd hdd for my rig and was wondering, how can I transfer my programs and documents/pictures to it? if i transfer programs to the new drive will they still work properly? or do I have to re-install them all?

im partitioning the new hdd to 2 "D" and "E" and like the programs to be on the "D" drive and the documents/pictures to "E" drive.

also, is it true that there's a setting on vista that you can change paths of your documents to a new drive and it will transfer it there?

thnx in advance

(edited)

I've never used them but HDD companies have utilities to clone your current drive to the new one. Then erase or do whatever with the old one. You will also have to use the clone utility for the new drive, not the old.

Nevermind, for some reason I only saw the first sentence in your post until I replied...

Edited by bushwack

After you format the drive into 2 partitions, you can move files to 'E' that is fine. But moving working programs/games to another 'D' drive can be complicated. Some programs don't care, others will not run at all. It is better to uninstall/reinstall your programs onto the new drive, but it won't hurt to try and copy/paste to the new drive, and if it doesn't work then you will know if you need to just re-install.

Makes sense?

Don't know about the Vista thing. Copy/Paste FTW?

After you format the drive into 2 partitions, you can move files to 'E' that is fine. But moving working programs/games to another 'D' drive can be complicated. Some programs don't care, others will not run at all. It is better to uninstall/reinstall your programs onto the new drive, but it won't hurt to try and copy/paste to the new drive, and if it doesn't work then you will know if you need to just re-install.

Makes sense?

Don't know about the Vista thing. Copy/Paste FTW?

awesome cool, i'll try that....before I do that, u think its worth it transferring the programs or can I jus create an image of C: drive and save that on my 2nd hdd, that way if anything happens to the first C: drive, i can jus install the image using the 2nd hdd? did that make sense? lol correct me if im wrong

If it was me and I was using Vista, I would backup all your data on current drive. Install new drive as primary and install Win7 RC. Install all your apps again and put the data where you want it.

I've been using Windows since Win3.1 . Don't mess around, 1)just backup your stuff, 2)format and install if you have/add a new HDD. And you should always have the first step done. It's that easy, Slapchop.

(edited)

I would put in the 2nd drive, format it, then if you want backup the c drive onto the d/e. Then start to copy stuff over etc, and if it breaks, you have your backup, and if not.. well you still have your backup.

Personally, I use 2 drives, 1 is 80gb raptor that is my C, and a 500gb standard for everything else. I only install stuff on the main drive, and everything else, movies, music, games, backup files all goes on the d drive. Then of course for super protection, I have a 500gb external that has a backup of all the stuff I do not want to lose on my 500 internal.

There are many ways to go about this. I would suggest going about it without trying to be too tricky as Window's does not like that.

Edited by NorgmaN