Tech Corner

SwOOp

And I can anwser just about anything that is Tippmann related. So if you have a problem with a Tippmann (which I doubt you will, they prove their name by havin the most relyable gun) ask me and ill be here.

Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guests

Ok you experts -

Last Fall I bought a Spyder paintball gun from a pawn shop in Texas. It came with Mask, 3 air tanks, 6 ball refll tanks, 2 cleaning kits, belt for refills, gun, hopper, short barrel and long barrel. Got the whole thing for like 75 bucks.

The gun works fine but it is used and has no manual or anything else. It has the drop down air cylinder thing in front of the trigger that then moves back so you attach the CO2 tank at the base of the handgrip. (Listen to my expert language haha).

I have cleaned it several times but I am not sure what a few of the knobs on it do. At the back of the gun there is a twist knob as well as one infront of the trigger and before the drop-down air cylinder thing. I think one of them would control air pressure but am not sure.

The problem I experience is I seem to explode about 1 in 10 paintballs in the barrel, then I have to clean it before firing anymore. It varies on how often it happens and I just wondered if this is a common occurence.

Also - anyone have a good site to go to for older model Spyder guns?

The knob on the rear is velocity adjustment. This will affect how many feet per second your paintballs go. As far as this other knob you speak of, I am wondering if it is the air resevoir, or an air control valve. Can you be more specific as to the location? And how does your tank currently mount to the gun? Underneath the trigger frame or vertically in front of the trigger assembly?

As far as chopping balls go, several factors could be the culprit. Check your velocity adjuster, if it is set too high, the pressure alone could break a paintball. Plus, spyders are notorious for spiking in FPS (feet per second), and you might even be getting liquid co2 shooting through the gun that will freeze and break the paintball. A sign of this would be liquid, mist, or a smoke cloud (more smoke than normal that is) shooting out the end of the barrel when you shoot. If you have access to a chronograph, it would help in finding out if high velocity is a factor.

Paint is also a big reason for busting balls. Stay away from any brass eagle paint. Brass eagle busts in any gun. If you are not using crappy paint, then your barrel bore size may be too small for the paint. A way to check this is taking off your barrel and grab about five or so paintballs. Insert a ball into the feed end of the barrel, you want the fit to be snug, not too restrictive, yet not loose to where the ball rolls right through. Try to blow the ball through the end of the barrel, if you can't even budge it, then I would say the bore is too tight. I said to take 5 balls so you can check each one and get an average size of what in your paint bag (they will differ).

Do you know what exact spyder you have? If you let me know I will post a link for you of the diagram.

Also I will leave this post here for a few until you see it, then it will be moved into the Tech thread.

Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guests
(edited)

Thanks Swoop -

Not using Brass Eagle, not sure what kind but I made sure not to get the cheap stuff.

The second knob I was talking about is in front of the trigger guard, before the air cylinder, recycler thing.

The Co2 tank itself hooks on at the base of the grips, beneath your hands....not in front of the trigger guard. It attaches horizontally.

Is there any way to check the model? Most of the wording has faded. It is a spyder, titanium in color with a "single finger" trigger, not like the new "double finger" triggers.

Edited by TF_FSoul

Also my friend experienced this problem before. I dont know how fimiliar you are with your gun, bot their a little plastic wedge that holds your ball from rollin down the barrel. Sometimes if you take that wedge, take a knife and shave it down a bit, that will help. Give it a try if you are still experienceing problems after you adjust you velocity.

I would not suggest Killer's advice. If you shave off too much, your balls will roll straight out the barrel and you wont have a velocity problem anymore.

My advice would be to look for an owners manual either on ebay or Kingman's website (the maker of Spyder, it might say on your box, I dont know the site)

Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guests

Got my tanks refilled and was messin with gun and I noticed that each time I shoot I get a burst of visible air at the end and some liquid as well. I will post pics of the gun in a bit, that link you gave me did not have the right gun.

An expamsion chamber would be a good investment for you if you plan on staying with co2. It allows the liquid more room to separate. It should help with fps spiking and cut down on the spitting. Until then avoid tilting the gun ,while playing, to where the tank valve would be pointing down. That will cause you to get liquid shots as well.

Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guests

Did some testing. I believe it has an expansion chamber already. I have pics, will post em tomorrow.

I fired 100 paint balls that I bought, relatively high quality. No blow-ups at all.

I then popped in about 50 paintballs out of a box of 2000 I got for xmas. Had a blow up in 3rd paintball, then 4th then 7th and 8th.

I found the problem. Someone bought me cheapass paintballs.